Director of Alumni Outreach Annual Giving
American UniversityWashington, D.C.
The Director of Alumni Outreach & Annual Giving works closely with the Washington College of Law (WCL) Associate Dean of Development and Alumni Relations in leading all aspects of alumni relations, alumni publications, and annual giving for a cohort of approximately 20,000 alumni. The incumbent will support the strongly-rooted mission of WCL and provide strategic counsel and activity in the areas of alumni relations and annual giving. The Director is responsible for achieving aggressive qualification, solicitation, cash, pledge, and visit goals, which are set annually. This position manages a prospect portfolio of at least 100+ active rated prospects, with a particular focus on annual giving donors who meet qualifications to be in our Myers Society ($2,500 annually). The Director is expected to personally manage these relationships to cultivate, solicit, close gifts, and steward donors, as well as identify and qualify new prospects.
- Create, maintain and enhance communication and engagement with at least 20,000 J.D. and LL.M alumni; improve alumni publications
- Manage and engage AUWCLs Myers Society and identify areas for growth of this annual giving society; implement strategies related thereto.
- Plan and implement strategic events on behalf of the Associate Dean of Development and Alumni Relations for relationship-building and cultivation of major prospects and donors.
- Direct a strategic annual giving program in collaboration with central American University’s annual giving team.
- Create and manage a network of regional chapters, affinity groups, volunteers, and ambassadors.
- Work with WCL programs to develop and implement program-level alumni engagement strategies and events.
- Serves as liaison with the AU Alumni Relation and Annual Giving teams.
- Manage WCL’s advancement services operations, including gift processing, prospect research, data integrity, and reporting/analysis. Develop and implement strategies for increasing efficiency and effectiveness of advancement operations.
- Lead, develop, and implement strategies for stewardship and donor relations. Manage ongoing donor relationships with foundations, corporations, special and gift-in-kind donations, endowed/named scholarships and awards, and naming opportunities.
- Serve as a leader within the Alumni Relations Team, overseeing all alumni relations efforts, activities and strategies while ensuring departmental communication and development (staff meetings, staff retreats, professional development, etc.).
Required Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 4-6 years of relevant experience in either alumni relations (preferably) and/or development fields.
Preferred Experience and Education:
- Master’s degree or equivalent
- Program of study in philanthropic studies, public affairs, marketing or related field preferred.
- 5-8 years of relevant experience
To apply for this job please visit careers.american.edu.