Director of External Relations & Alumni Affairs
Athens State UniversityAthens, AL
The Director of External Relations and Alumni Affairs reports directly to the Vice President for University Advancement and is responsible for external relations and developing strategies designed to increase giving to the Athens State University Foundation by alumni and friends of the University. The Director is primarily responsible for event management and stewardship of alumni and friends of the University.
- Manage all aspects of fundraising initiatives for special events and projects relating to University Advancement.
- Provide oversight for the office of Alumni Affairs and work closely with the Alumni Board of Directors to ensure that the University maintains an active and vibrant Alumni Association.
- Contribute toward the development of materials including brochures, case statements and other media that support the Foundation’s fundraising goals.
- Prepare and complete reports in a timely fashion to document activities related to fundraising goals and objectives.
- Actively recruit and engage alumni and friends of the University to take part in University events and activities.
- Assist in preparing and providing material for University publications including The Column, press releases and other materials as needed.
- Actively participate in updating and enhancing the Advancement database through the Salesforce CRM platform to ensure information is current and accurate.
- Follow the policies of the University and Foundation with regard to the processing and acceptance of gifts.
- Actively work toward building cooperative and collaborative relationships with University Colleges, Departments, faculty, staff and community entities.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing work scope and tasks based on need.
- Identify opportunities for improvements to work practices and offers viable solutions for implementation.
- Proactively engage in problem solving related to tasks in this position with internal and external constituencies.
- Completes other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Experience in higher education or related field managing events
- Working knowledge of University operations related to engagement with multiple constituencies
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to relate to diverse constituencies
- Strong organizational skills
- Working knowledge in support strategies and techniques used to engage broad community constituencies both locally and regionally
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to include limited travel
- Able to maintain discretion regarding donor activities
Non-Discrimination Policy Statement Athens State University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. Athens State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, disability, religion, genetic information, or veteran status in employment, or admissions to or participation in educational programs and activities.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.athens.edu.