Director, Annual Giving
Bentley UniversityWaltham, MA
Job Description Summary
The Director of Annual Giving provides leadership in designing, implementing, and evaluating programs whose purpose is to build a long-term base of support for the University. The overall goal of the Bentley Fund is to raise unrestricted funds for operations, scholarships and other areas of greatest need within the University. The Director will create, implement and evaluate a comprehensive, multi-year plan to increase strategic solicitation of financial support from alumni, parents and friends of the University. This position reports to the Executive Director, Annual Giving and Advancement Relations.
I. Overall management of fundraising efforts for the Bentley Fund to include analytical assessment, marketing, staff development and fundraising (50%)
- The Director of the Bentley Fund will set annual dollar goals, establish strategies to reach those goals and monitor progress against those goals
- The Director will design and execute an annual giving program that is clear in its expectations, consistent and has demonstrable outcomes
- The program will cover a variety of solicitation methods, including phonathon calls, direct mail, digital communications and fundraising, parent and family giving, a matching gift program, Reunion giving, and other creative uses of technology to increase total annual donations and gift revenue from alumni, parents, faculty, staff, friends and other segments
- Plan, develop and monitor annual giving budget Oversee Gift Officers, regularly monitoring progress on annual goals and assisting them with their portfolio
- Work with Major Gifts and Principal Gifts Officers to ensure pipeline integrity for managed prospects
- Work with Alumni Engagement Officers and Bentley Fund staff in the development of strategic initiatives, including at least one Giving Day/crowdfunding per year
- The Director will be held accountable for achieving annual giving targets, both by managing those reporting directly into the Bentley Fund, as well as promoting a culture that enables other staff members whose work impacts the success of the Bentley Fund to have a sense of ownership and accountability for the annual giving program
- The Director will be held accountable for achieving annual fund targets
- Performs data analysis related to all aspects of the annual fund program; uses statistical analysis to evaluate current annual programs and to make recommendations for program changes
II. Develop strategic plans and current best practices for donor retention, acquisition, and growth. Improve direct marketing and use of multi-channel communications in any and all new program opportunities (20%)
- The Director will work with the Associate Director, Annual Giving Direct Mail Marketing & Operations to execute comprehensive direct mail and telemarketing campaigns, from concept and design through production and fulfillment of the overall initiative to raise unrestricted funds
- The Director will track responses and monitor results as well as identify target groups for customized solicitation
- Improve annual donor retention rates
- Meet regularly with members of the Alumni Engagement team charged with building affinity programs with Bentley’s alumni including reunion classes to ensure progress toward goals and synchronization with overall annual giving plan
- Identify and implement opportunities to improve campaign performance
- Develop new program opportunities
III. Front-line fundraising (20%)
- Develop fundraising goals and strategies to realize annual giving and class participation goals
- Manage assigned portfolio of prospects
- Directly manage three front-line annual giving fundraisers, one digital fundraiser, and a direct mail/marketing/analytics staff member, meeting regularly with them to discuss donor strategies and review progress toward goals
IV. Reporting, records and accounting (10%)
- Review call reports, pipeline, gift-recording, reports, events and expense reports
- Document activity with donors in timely manner
- Ensure that gifts are booked in accordance with gift purpose and University standards; troubleshoot when discrepancies are discovered
- Provide reports on projects and performance
- Manage or work with University events on cultivation events
- Oversee stewardship for assigned prospects and unit
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Eight to ten years related work experience with prior experience in annual giving, preferably at the college or university level
- Must hold and maintain a valid, unrestricted United States driver’s license, with an insurable driving history as determined by Bentley’s insurance carrier.
- Excellent communication skills
- Solid writing ability and organizational skills
- The ability to prioritize and execute multiple tasks while meeting project timelines is a must.
- Solid analytical, judgment, and problem solving skills
- Ability to complete projects on time and on budget, and report on status and progress
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Solid computer skills with experience using word processing and spreadsheet software
- Successful completion of standard background checks
- Typical office setting with extensive sitting and computer & phone work
- Occasional evening, holiday or weekend hours
- Occasional travel to attend training, mainly day trips; but some overnight travel throughout the United States
Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.
Bentley University strives to create a campus community that welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values differences and views them as a strength in our community.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity. The University is committed to building a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences and backgrounds.
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, United States, 02452
To apply for this job please visit www.Click2Apply.net.
- Next s