Assistant Director for Alumni and Family Relations
California Lutheran UniversityThousand Oaks, CA
Under the guidance of the Sr. Director of Alumni/Family Relations and the Alumni Board of Directors, facilitates alumni engagement and volunteerism through effective event management, program development and relationship-building. The incumbent works directly with the Sr. Director and Associate Director of Alumni and Family Relations and the Alumni Board of Directors on the development and planning of strategic initiatives within the department. The Assistant Director for Alumni & Family Relations engages alumni in regional alumni networks, coordinates and manages alumni, family and student events and activities.
- Act as staff liaison to the Alumni Board of Directors, including alumni awards and alumni board prospects.
- Develop a robust program to serve graduate, Alumni Affinity Programs, post doctorate and nontraditional alumni in collaboration with their respective programs/schools; build relationships with the grad schools; collaborate with grad school leadership to develop strategies; create programming and events to engage grad alums
- Write and edit copy for alumni and family communications and publications
- Assist in the planning and promotion of all major alumni events including Homecoming, New – Student Orientation and Commencement, among others.
- Build Alumni Ambassador program through alumni engagement and relationships; identify potential alumni ambassadors based on alums who are active on social media, who attend our events and connect with our office frequently; build relationships with engaged alumni
- Recruits and collaborates with volunteer leadership in assigned regions to plan and implement alumni activities and service projects that engage and involve alumni with the University and the alumni association.
- Collaborates with the Director of Advancement Marketing and Digital Philanthropy on digital strategy and online updates for alumni communications and events.
- Contributes to the growth and effectiveness of the California Lutheran University Alumni Association by researching and implementing new programs and projects as directed.
- Identify class reunion leaders to build reunion committees to plan and promote activities.
- Promote, interview, train and manage appearances and volunteer opportunities for the Student Ambassadors.
- Provide necessary support for events and programs in which the Alumni and Family Relations Office and/or alumni and family participate.
- Oversee and be accountable for staying within program budgets.
- Represent the Alumni and Family Relations Office at alumni and University functions in the absence of the Director and Associate Director.
- Articulate Cal Lutheran’s mission/vision to groups as needed.
- Orchestrate Student-to-Alumni connections and initiatives.
- Aid in Alumni Board communication prior to meetings and assist the Board President with monthly newsletter to board.
- Manage event volunteer opportunities in AFR and communicate with event volunteers Perform related duties as assigned.
- Communicate and coordinate alumni and family relations programs
- Understanding of University mission, goals, and objectives and Alumni Association mission, goals and objectives
- Superb oral and written communication skills
- Presentation skills
- University fund-raising goals and objectives
- Operation of computer and office equipment including Microsoft suite (familiarity with some graphic design and data management programs a plus)
- Familiarity with Raisers Edge a plus
- Experience with volunteer motivation/coordination
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
- Organize and manage projects
- Communicate information and ideas effectively, both orally and in writing Work independently with little direction
- Operate a computer terminal and other office equipment to enter data, maintain records, and prepare correspondence
- Train and provide work direction to others.
- Attend to details
- To speak confidently to groups is a plus
Any combination equivalent to: a Bachelor’s degree and two years experience creating and coordinating internal & external communication for programs and events.
- Experience in higher education Experience Supervising volunteers
- Program Development and Event Creation
- Fluent in both English and Spanish Cal Lutheran is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
- Commitment to a minority-serving institution.
To apply for this job please visit careers.callutheran.edu.
- Next s