Associate Director of Annual Giving
California Lutheran UniversityThousand Oaks, CA
The mission of California Lutheran University is to educate leaders for a global society who are strong in character and judgment, confident in their identity and vocation, and committed to service and justice. Founded in 1959 in beautiful Ventura County, the university has an enrollment of about 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students who come from across the nation and around the world from a diversity of backgrounds, cultures and faiths. As a federally recognized Hispanic-Serving Institution, Cal Lutheran is looking for candidates with a dedication to and success in working in diverse communities. The university is committed to an inclusive learning and work environment that values individual differences and respects each person’s dignity.
Under the guidance of the Senior Director of Annual Giving, the Associate Director is responsible for increasing annual giving participation and support from young alumni and the University’s student body.
- Work directly with the Senior Director of Annual Giving on the development and planning of key initiatives of the annual giving program. E
- In collaboration with the Senior Director of Annual Giving, the Associate Director will establish and meet qualitative and quantitative financial and engagement goals for both young alumni and student giving. The incumbent will be responsible for providing reports to track progress to the Senior Director and other Advancement staff members as appropriate. E
- Develop and implement a multi-channel, integrated marketing approach to cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship that includes face-to-face, direct mail, phone campaigns, email, text, social media, giving days, events, digital outreach, digital campaigns, and analytics for young alumni and the Cal Lutheran student body in conjunction with other programs and initiatives within the Office of Annual Giving. E
- Implement and evaluate social media strategies to connect with students and young alumni to enhance engagement and philanthropy; manage and maintain the social media platforms for the Office of Annual Giving, Student Philanthropy Council, and Senior Pride Committee. E
- Draft and edit annual giving communications as needed for all channels, including e-newsletters. E
- Acknowledges annual giving donors promptly, accurately and efficiently. E
- Identify, recruit, train, and supervise Senior Pride Committee, Student Philanthropy Council, and young alumni volunteers in their efforts to educate and fundraise among their peers. Serve as staff liaison on Senior Task Force, Senior Pride Committee, and Student Philanthropy Council. E
- Work collaboratively with other members of the Advancement Office, providing assistance and input as needed, and communicating frequently to ensure events and activities do not conflict. E
- Work closely with University Marketing staff, as well as Deans/Department Lead’s across campus in coordinating young alumni and student giving campaigns and other efforts relating to donor acquisition, solicitation and stewardship. Schedule and complete personal donor visits for donors who may have capacity to give or increase their giving based on giving history. E
- Support the Senior Director on meeting the annual dollar objectives established for current unrestricted gift income. E
- Establish goals to assess the impact of the Student Philanthropy Council and Senior Pride Committee. Manage their program budgets and remain within budget. E
- Work with the Senior Director on evaluation of events and activities. E
- Supervise and guide staff, volunteers, and student workers assigned to annual giving. Ability to hire, train, motivate and evaluate staff/student workers/volunteers. E
- Act as an official representative of the Annual Giving program at University functions in the absence of the Senior Director; present CLU’s mission/vision to gathered groups as needed. E
- Solicit outside businesses/vendors for their participation in our Student campaigns. E
- Perform related duties as assigned. E
- Need to drive a vehicle to conduct work frequently.
*E = Essential Duties
- University mission, goals, and objectives.
- Fundraising and the mission of higher education.
- Knowledge of and experience with various social media platforms in a professional setting.
- High level of self-motivation to proactively move multiple tasks forward while documenting and sharing progress, and meeting strict deadlines.
- Effective communication, both oral and written. Experience with copywriting and/or creative design.
- Strong writing skills to support direct mail, phone, and online solicitation campaigns.
- Strong analytical skills
- Operation of computer and office equipment including Microsoft suite, Net Community, some graphic design and data management programs.
- The Internet and its use as a communication tool; web design a plus.
- Budget preparation and analysis for annual giving events.
- Volunteer recruitment, motivation and coordination as well as student supervision
- Management of schedules and timelines.
- Awareness of best practices.
- Plan, organize and direct annual giving programs and fundraising principles specific to multi fundraising channels – direct mail, phone, face-to-face, digital, giving days, text, and social media.
- Make presentations to support the mission/vision of CLU; ability to articulate a compelling case for support.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with co-workers and management; relationship development with alumni and other constituencies.
- Review and evaluate statistical information.
- Participate in staff department and university-wide events, such as Homecoming, Commencement, New Student Orientation, Cal Lutheran Cares Day, Senior Salute Day, Grad Nights, as well as other events and activities held throughout the year.
- Attend to details and speak confidently in public to various-sized groups.
- Any combination equivalent to: bachelor’s degree in related field and four years prior experience with alumni relations, development, and/or event planning.
- 1-3 years of fundraising experience, and/or related experience in communications and marketing.
Experience in higher education or non-profit fundraising organization
Licenses and Other Requirements:
- Valid California driver’s license
- Adjusted schedule to include weekend and evening hours
- Some travel required
Desired Start Date: 09/01/2021
Open Date: 07/21/2021
Close Date: 8/15/2021
Open Until Filled: No
California Lutheran University is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment for all persons, regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by applicable law. No person shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination in any program, activity or facility of the University on the basis of these factors in a manner consistent with applicable federal and state laws, regulations, ordinances, orders and rules, and University’s policies, procedures, and processes.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.