Director, Prospect Management, Annual Giving
Dana-Farber Cancer InstituteBrookline, MA
The Director manages a 13.5 member team of front line fundraising staff and oversees personal solicitation strategy for Dana-Farber Annual Giving and Jimmy Fund donors who have the capacity to give $1,500-$50,000. This position implements a comprehensive prospect management plan for Annual Giving and Jimmy Fund donors with a focus on qualifying donors, increasing giving through Dana-Farber’s President’s Circle ($1,500+), increasing giving of assigned prospects, and driving new pipelines of Major Gift, Planned Giving, and Jimmy Fund donors. The Director oversees the process of identifying, qualifying, assigning, and personally soliciting and cultivating donors who have the capacity to give $1,500-$50,000 to Dana-Farber, and works closely with colleagues from other Business and Service Units to coordinate prospect management activity. In addition, the Director manages 13.5 staff members. As a senior staff member on the Annual Giving team, this position coordinates with the Assistant Vice President, the Director of Special Programs, and the Director of Direct Marketing for overall Annual Giving and Philanthropy strategies for Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and the Jimmy Fund.
Embody Dana-Farber’s Core Values: Impact; Excellence; Compassion & Respect; and Discovery every day. Add value to the Dana-Farber community by seeking opportunities to collaborate across the Institute. Foster an ethical, positive, results-oriented culture founded on open communication.
Responsible for assisting the entire Division with reaching financial goals.
Resume and cover letter required with application submission.
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow’s physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Oversee Annual Giving and Jimmy Fund Prospect Management
- Direct personal solicitation fundraising and strategies for Dana-Farber Annual Giving and Jimmy Fund donors of $1,500-$50,000.
- Implement a comprehensive prospect management plan within Annual Giving with a focus on qualifying donors and increasing giving to Dana-Farber’s President’s Circle ($1,500+).
- Implement a comprehensive prospect management plan for select Jimmy Fund donors with a focus on qualifying donors and increasing overall giving to Dana-Farber.
- Oversee process of identifying, qualifying, assigning, and personally soliciting and cultivating donors who have the capacity to give $1,500-$50,000 to Dana-Farber.
- Collaborate with colleagues from other Business Units to coordinate prospect management activity. Organize asks for Annual Giving donors who have been assigned to prospect managers in other Business Units. Assist in qualifying donors for major, principal, campaign, corporate, foundation, and planned giving opportunities. Coordinate with Division of Philanthropy Business Units to transition prospects to and from Annual Giving. Coordinate with Prospect Research on prospect identification.
- Coordinate with Institute staff to identify and document Annual Giving level giving opportunities.
- Implement focused prospect management efforts to complement and promote Annual Giving direct marketing efforts and naming opportunities.
- Participate in planning for Dana-Farber’s Comprehensive Campaign.
- Serve as the primary contact for inquiries from donors who would like to make annual gifts of $500 or more.
- Participate in coordinating VIP giving situations, generated named funds, and special campaigns including the upcoming comprehensive campaign as needed.
- Manage a prospect pool of Annual Giving and select Jimmy Fund donors who have been determined to have the ability to make annual gifts of $5,000-$50,000.
- Personally solicit 3-5 prospects per month (35+ donor visits per year) and manage a portfolio of approximately 175-250 prospects.
- Prepare and submit proposals; cultivate prospects; track results.
- Utilize mail, phone, email, or volunteers for solicitation or cultivation of prospects as appropriate.
- Keep current with and be able to convey information about highlights and initiatives at Dana-Farber.
- Supervise, hire, train, and evaluate team of 13.5 prospect management staff—two Associate Directors, four Assistant Directors, four Officers, and 3.5 staff Assistants.
- Lead staff to reach prospect management goals.
- Report progress on goals & responsibilities to the department. Produce analysis of personal solicitation effectiveness.
- Coordinate with Information System and Fiscal & Regulatory Management staff for reporting and prospect tracking.
Other Activities as needed
- Participate as needed in Division of Philanthropy team efforts including solicitation strategy for key prospects and internal planning efforts. Ad-hoc projects. Other responsibilities as assigned. Responsible for assisting the entire department, including other business units, in reaching financial goals.
Reports to the Assistant Vice President of Annual Giving. Supervises 13.5 professional staff, including 2 Associate Directors and .5 assistant who are direct reports.
Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 8-10 years of fundraising experience required, including 3 or more years of experience in annual and individual gift fundraising. Demonstrated supervisory experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
Excellent track record of achieving bottom line fundraising goals. Previous Annual Giving experience, including experience and success with personal solicitation and prospect management. Proficiency with direct mail, phone, web/email, and overall fundraising marketing techniques. Exceptional project management skills – ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with a strong history of meeting deadlines. Strong oral and written communications skills. Excellent management experience including hiring, training, coaching, and evaluating staff. Strong organizational skills, analytical skills, and attention to detail. Experience working successfully with a variety of constituencies, including donors, trustees, volunteers, vendors, and staff at all levels, including senior faculty and staff. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and development databases. Ability to work independently and be self-motivated. Excellent problem solving and reasoning skills. Ability to work in a collegial manner with the Division of Philanthropy team in creating and implementing solicitation strategies. Ability to work comfortably with donors and volunteers at all levels. Must exercise significant judgment and confidentiality in donor activities. Willingness to travel.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit www.Click2apply.net.
- Next s