Director of Major Gifts
Delaware State UniversityDover, DE
The Director of Major Gifts reports to the Associate Vice President of Development in the University’s Office of Development and is responsible for planning and implementing a successful program of cultivation and solicitation for individual major gifts prospects within a given portfolio. The individual also assists in cultivating major donors through planned giving as well as plays a critical role in helping to reach the University’s campaign goals.
The following are the functions essential to performing this job.
- Conducts research to identify major gift prospects.
- Builds and manages a portfolio of 150-200 major prospects.
- Works in conjunction with the VP of Institutional Advancement, the Executive Director of Development and other senior development officers to assign key administrators/persons appropriate major donor prospects; ensures a timeline is created and implemented to include cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of assigned prospects.
- Utilizes Raiser’s Edge to track actions on each prospect in a timely, accurate and complete fashion; maintains appropriate records, reports and analyses as required.
- Maintains a regular travel schedule to visit identified prospects.
- Develops and executes solicitation strategies for each assigned prospect, ensuring regular and systematic contact.
- Assists in creating communiqués in multiple mediums to promote donations of major gifts to the University as well as to keep assigned prospects informed about DSU’s successes.
- Assists in the strategic planned giving efforts of the University; works closely with senior development leadership to develop a portfolio of planned giving prospects.
- Assists the unit in creating, organizing and implementing fundraising campaigns.
- Meets or exceeds strategic goals.
- Routinely produces reports on progress toward goals.
- Works closely with the Director of the Annual Fund and other development officers to ensure identified prospects are incorporated into the major gift process.
- Significantly assists the development unit in reaching its overall University campaign goal.
Individuals in this job may be assigned one or more of the following tasks on a rotating or as-needed basis.
- Assists in campaign planning and implementation.
- Assists with events aimed at cultivating and soliciting donors.
- Coordinates schedules and travel plans for VIPs to meet with major donor prospects.
- Assists with communicating the University’s successes to key constituents.
- Oversees volunteers as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual in this job must possess these skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Understanding of fundraising.
- Proven experience in working a major gift from start to close.
- Demonstrated track record at the major giving level.
- Must maintain a professional appearance.
- Must have valid driver’s license and be willing to travel.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to function with a high degree of independent initiative.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to meet goals.
- Proven experience as a successful team member.
- Ability to motivate and oversee volunteers.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree.
- Successful experience: 5-8 years of successful fundraising; experience with major gifts and/or planned giving a plus.
- Other preferences: Prior experience with higher education or nonprofit fundraising preferred.
The criteria for evaluation in this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Demonstrates knowledge of the DSU Fundamentals
- Successfully executes duties of the job description.
- Successfully assists the development office in meeting the University’s strategic fundraising goals.
Note: The University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties as provided in policy and negotiated agreements.
To apply for this job please visit chu.tbe.taleo.net.