Director of Development-Christina Lee Brown Envirome Institute
University of LouisvilleLouisville, KY
The Director of Development for the Christina Lee Brown Envirome Institute works collaboratively with University Advancement and Institute leadership to identify and advance opportunities for public and private support for the Institute’s mission, objectives, and strategic direction. This position directs efforts to secure philanthropic (and other forms) support enabling research that unites a multidisciplinary group to turn scientific discovery into actionable knowledge that can help build healthier cities.
Under the direction of the Senior Executive Director of Development for the Health Sciences Campus, and the Director of the Envirome Institute, and/or designee(s), this position develops and implements plans to identify, cultivate, secure, and steward major gift & grant support from individuals, corporations, and foundations. This position works closely with University Advancement staff (including but not limited to Corporate & Foundation Relations and unit/college development officers) and with Research & Sponsored Programs staff to identify and guide gift and grant opportunities to successful completion. Within this framework, this position leads the philanthropy program for the Institute advising leadership on logistical and strategic steps necessary to advance programmatic and research initiatives.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Identify, cultivate and steward a portfolio of major donors ($25,000 and above) and supporters with a high affinity for the Institute’s mission, research, and stated objectives
- Work with anchor donors of the Institute to develop national and global prospects
- Identify, cultivate and steward a portfolio of corporations and/or foundations in collaboration with the University’s Director of Corporate & Foundation Relations to secure significant funding ($100,000 and above) to support and elevate the Institute’s programs, profile and impact
- Cultivate, recruit and train fundraising volunteers in support of the Envirome Institute’s specific priorities and special projects
- Solicit and close $500,000 in annual gifts from major donors
- Solicit and close $2 million in philanthropic grants
- Assist faculty, research staff, and Institute leadership in the grant application and award process and work collaboratively with Research/Sponsored Projects to help facilitate processes when appropriate; and,
- Assist with Institute communication and events in support of the above activities.
This position requires a passion for health research. Excellent communication skills with an ability to write and speak persuasively about the role of philanthropy and its impact on teaching and research is a critical requirement. The position also requires critical thinking skills as well as the ability to exercise sound judgment within an ambiguous environment. Some night and weekend work is required.
Master’s Degree and 3 years of related experience. Additional experience can be used on a one-to-one basis to offset the educational requirement.
- Prior experience in fundraising, sales or within scientific or business development.
- 6 years of experience preferred.
- Higher education fundraising experience is preferred as well as a familiarity with clinical research activity.
- Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate comfort with, and effectiveness in, high-profile social situations.
- Educational background in a science, technology, engineering or math field or demonstrated experience in these domains is preferred.
To apply for this job please visit hrprpt.louisville.edu.