Director, High Touch Audiences
Doctors Without Borders / Médecins Sans FrontièresNew York, NY
Reporting to the Director of Development and working closely with Development’s senior leaders, executive-level staff across MSF-USA, and other senior and peer leaders across MSF-International, this new position will oversee the following giving functions in the Development department: Major ($25,000+), Mid-Level ($1,000-$24,999), Planned Giving, Corporate, and Foundation Gifts. This includes effectively leading overarching strategy for a large, best-in-class team of Development professionals, responsible for raising approximately $225,000,000 annually (according to 2021 targets). In addition, the position will play an important role to jump-start principal gift efforts. The Director of High Touch Audiences will be responsible for personally cultivating and soliciting a portfolio of 10-20 principal level prospective donors who have seven- and eight-figure gift capacity. The Director will also provide relationship-management to the donors and prospective donors in the portfolio of executive leadership (including the MSF-USA Executive Director and Director of Development). This position is a critical source of counsel, strategy, and thought leadership for the department, working with the Director of Development on high-level philanthropy innovation and increasing donor-centricity.
The Director of High Touch Audiences will be critical to MSF-USA’s future growth and ambitious fundraising plans. This position offers an opportunity to scale up each of our established high-touch audiences – significantly increasing the prospect and donor pool. It requires an equal focus on both building a program and on being an effective donor-facing fundraiser. Responsibilities include:
- Manage, serve as strategic leader, and inspire growth in five critical departments: Major Gifts (portfolios of $25K+), Midlevel Gifts (portfolios of $1,000-$24,999), Planned Giving, Corporate, and Foundations Gifts.
- Create and oversee new processes and work plans for each staff director, ensuring that their teams are following leading-edge fundraising practices and pursuing innovative growth plans.
- Ensure that the five teams are meeting MSF-USA’s strategic goals, including revenue targets and appropriate donor engagement metrics. Engage directly in the activities of the teams with targeted field visits, prospect engagement, and stewardship support.
- Personally manage a portfolio of individuals with seven- or eight-figure capacity to make investments in MSF-USA, including existing and prospective donors; securing renewals; and increasing donor support over time. Meet personal financial targets.
- Play a leading role in Principal Gift fundraising activities, overseeing the Major Gifts team. Provide guidance to build a stronger portfolio of transformational gifts.
- Advise on plans to expand the network of foundations and corporations who support the broad mandate of MSF-USA through general support and both restricted and unrestricted giving. Establish institutional giving goals and create strategies and objectives that propel corporate and foundation philanthropy and activities that reflect the priorities of MSF-USA.
- Work closely with the Director of Development to motivate, support, and appropriately leverage the contacts and involvement of the Executive Director, the Director of Development, other executive-level leaders at MSF-USA, the USA Board of Advisors, and key volunteers to engage with major donors and prospects.
- Serve as a key department leader and strategic thought partner to the Director of Development, providing advice and counsel about the range of the department’s activities. As a key member of the Development Management team, play an important role in strategic and operational planning, budget development, goal setting, staff training and development, and other priorities as outlined by the Director.
- In support of the Director, play a leading role in developing and advancing a culture of philanthropy within the department and within MSF-USA. Serve as a model of MSF-USA’s values in action and exhibit exemplary ethical behavior.
- Thoughtfully align activities of all teams to maximize both long-term revenue and donor engagement, ensuring consistent practices are in place between Mid-Level, Major, and Planned Gifts to model methodologies and engage donors.
- Manage 5 senior audience leaders, including: communicating job expectations and fundraising goals; planning, monitoring, and appraising job performance; coaching employees; and developing and enforcing systems, policies, and productivity standards.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- 10+ years of progressively increasing responsibility for fundraising, including at least 5 years at the senior management level.
- Broad knowledge of and expertise in leading high-touch fundraising programs. Ability to oversee the work of experienced senior staff including major gifts, midlevel gifts, planned gifts, corporate gifts and foundation grants.
- Proven ability to lead, motivate, and develop staff to elicit their best work.
- Experience in external relationship management with extensive knowledge of volunteer management and donor cultivation and stewardship. Experience closing seven- and eight- figure gifts from first-time donors (not just renewals and upgrades).
- Demonstrated expertise in transforming Mid-Level Giving programs as high-touch operations, not just achieving organic growth.
- In-depth knowledge of corporate and foundation giving interests and trends.
- Proven background in integrating fundraising activities, moving from single-audience programs to donor-centric strategies to develop donor relationships across the long term.
- Demonstrated collaborative, inspiring leadership style in working with senior executives, peers, and staff.
- Comfort working in an environment of consensus-based decision making and cross-disciplinary cooperation.
- Proven experience in — and a personal passion for — building effective, collaborative teams that achieve financial goals in sustainable, ethical ways.
- Deep, demonstrated commitment to principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Starting salary $143,400.14 (commensurate with experience).
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.doctorswithoutborders.org.