Director of Annual Giving
Furman UniversityGreenville, SC
The Director of Annual Giving is a senior member of Furman’s Office of Development and oversees all aspects of the university’s annual giving efforts. This dynamic leader will be responsible for creating, implementing, and evaluating a year-round fundraising program whose purpose is to build a long-term base of support for Furman University. The Director collaborates with all advancement teams to create fundraising goals, strategies, and programming that aim to build and engage our constituencies based upon industry best practices and in concert with the Furman culture.
- Lead Furman’s annual giving program that raises approximately $5MM annually in support of University operations.
- Lead and execute Furman’s annual giving fundraising plan, utilizing a comprehensive strategy to meet or exceed stated goals.
- Serve as a key member of the Development Department and participate in monthly campaign team meetings. Take on committee assignments across campus as well.
- Manage a team of 4 people and overall division budget.
- Consult with faculty and staff on occasion to devise alumni communication and fundraising strategies.
- Create and manage a multidimensional appeal schedule that utilizes a variety of mediums (e.g., electronic solicitation, direct mail appeals, telemarketing and face-to-face solicitations) to communicate with potential and current donors.
- Coordinate, manage, and assess all direct-response fundraising efforts for annual giving, special projects and campaigns including all aspects of Dins Day and Giving Tuesday. Work across Development functions to execute integrated multi-channel strategies, utilizing targeted messaging, audience segmentation, and crowdfunding techniques. Work with annual giving team to oversee all special appeals and reunion giving.
- Oversee active web, social media, and communities for Furman alumni, parents, and friends.
- Provide communications support for alumni and parent programs such as Homecoming, Family Weekend, reunions, career events, and regional activities.
- Partner with Office of University Communications to produce written and digital communication and solicitation pieces and use the Furman Magazine and other global communication strategies to inform and educate prospective donors.
- Maintain the communications calendar for the Office of Development overseeing all electronic solicitation, event invitations, and newsletter timing.
- Perform data analysis related to all aspects of the annual giving program. Use data to evaluate current annual programs and provide insight for ongoing solicitations.
- Enhance the annual giving team’s use of analytics to improve segmentation and messaging and to create a personal and positive experience for donors.
- Daily contact with members of own work unit; serve as immediate supervisor for department to plan, coordinate, problem solve, and present information.
- Occasional contact with professional peers at other institutions to exchange trends and strategies in annual giving fundraising efforts.
Responsibilities for Final Decisions
- Tasks involve multiple procedures with interrelated processes or steps. Work involves choosing the appropriate option or procedure to follow, and applying established rules and procedures.
- Errors are detected within the division, and may affect the work of others within the unit to trace errors and make corrections.
Reports to Associate Vice President for Development
- Work is performed independently except where the interpretation of law, policy, rule, complex procedures, or request for exception is required.
- Work closely with other staff in the department as well as members of the Office of University Communications.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 5+ years of experience in related field. Excellent communications and writing skills.
- Creative problem solver and strategic thinker.
- Expertise in project management and leading cross-functional teams. Analytical and
- Experience managing a small team. Experience creating and managing websites.
- Experience managing direct marketing efforts such as mail, telemarketing, digital marketing and social media.
- Proficiency in working in CRM systems.
- Experience with production management in working with designers, printers, web and fulfillment vendors.
- Work is performed under usual office condition
For more information please email [email protected].
- Next s