Associate Director of Development
Gill St. Bernard's SchoolGladstone, NJ
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Associate Director will help oversee the day-to-day operations of the Advancement Program, with a particular emphasis on broadening the major gifts pool, growing the annual and planned giving programs, and strengthening donor stewardship. This position is a broad-based fundraising and project management position with an emphasis on a strategic partnership with the Director of Development.
The primary responsibilities of this position include the strategic planning, disciplined organization, and oversite of all annual giving initiatives, supporting the major gifts program, and effective leadership and management of staff. The Associate Director will work closely with volunteers, including some trustees and members of the Advancement Committee.
- Responsible for the planning, implementation, and evaluation of a comprehensive annual giving program.
- Work in conjunction with the Communications team on the production of annual giving collateral and messaging, which includes printed and digital appeals.
- Evaluate and assist Director of Development to strategically grow and implement the Planned Giving programs.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of major gift prospects; develop strategies and approaches to generate higher levels of giving; conduct monthly visits; maintain complete and timely records of contact with prospects and volunteers.
- Conduct research of all prospects including current families, alumni, past parents, foundations, and corporations.
- Research alumni for potential engagement and stewardship and coordinate outreach with both the Director of Development and Director of Alumni Relations to segment this population for outreach.
- In conjunction with the Director of Development, create and implement a comprehensive stewardship plan.
- Grow and strengthen the Moves Management processes for entire Advancement team, including training and overseeing process.
- Work closely with the Director of Development with written communications, proposals and assignments as needed.
- Assist the Director of Development in strategizing and implementing donor cultivation and recognition events, including small cultivation breakfasts and dinners with the Head of School.
- Assist the Director of Development in developing a visitation plan for prospects, donors and alumni based on regional analysis.
- Assist with and coordinate leadership volunteer activity including that related to Board of Trustees Advancement Committee.
- Research and development of “mini-campaigns” as needed for specific fundraising projects; research and segment prospects by campaign; coordinate with the business office to generate financial target(s) for campaign(s).
- Grow the Founders’ Day of giving program in partnership with the Director of Development and the Director of Alumni Relations.
- Plan and execute the annual GSB Classic golf outing.
- Lead Senior Gift Committee including coordinating meetings with the Senior Dean, communicating plan to entire senior class, and assist Director of Alumni Relations in planning for senior breakfast at the end of the school year.
- Attend weekly/monthly meetings as necessary including Upper School Assembly, guest speakers, student forums, advancement team meetings, Parents’ Association meetings, Booster club meetings.
- Event support for advancement office as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of five years of experience in major gifts, and/or campaigns, preferably in an independent school or university setting
- An accomplished front-line major gift solicitor
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge software and reporting
- Proven ability to build, engage, mentor, and motivate a talented team of individuals.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- A collaborative colleague dedicated to working as a member of a team.
- A warm, engaging, accessible style.
- High energy, “can do” spirit and a sense of humor.
To apply for this job please visit www.gsbschool.org.