Assistant Director, Alumni and Parent Engagement
Gustavus Adolphus CollegeSaint Peter, MN
Job Summary: This position reports to the Director of Alumni and Parent Engagement to support a strategic plan for engaging alumni, parents and friends with one another and the College. The Assistant Director will plan, manage, and execute programs and engagement opportunities to foster relationships and deepen engagement and philanthropy for the advancement of the College. This position requires a significant understanding of fundraising and donor relations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reports to the Director of Alumni and Parent Engagement; works closely with the Associate Vice President for Advancement and other members of the gift planning staff.
- Works consistently with the entire Institutional Advancement staff, and as required, the President and executive staff, campus leaders in various departments, faculty, volunteer leaders, and alumni and donors.
- Manages student employees, including full-year employees (1-2 students) and those that serve as homecoming (10-20 students) or reunion (20-30 students) ambassadors.
- Provides primary leadership for all phases of event design and execution (logistics, programming, and communications) for signature programming (Homecoming; 2000+ annual attendees and Reunions; 1000+ annual attendees) as well as over 50 on-campus, regional, national, and virtual events where the primary audience includes ~40,000 combined alumni, parents, and/or friends of the College.
- Manages the development and execution of highly detailed and interconnected elements of signature events and/or multiple non-signature programs simultaneously; coordinates tailored, high-impact deliverables for distinct groups varying from dozens to thousands of constituents.
- Develops infrastructure and implements strategies to engage in-person, virtually and/or digitally based on class year, geographical location, affinity, and other characteristics to maximize enduring, positive relationships between constituents and the institution.
- Works closely with members of the Advancement team charged with managing the Gustavus Fund and reunion giving, consults with the Director and the Associate Vice President for Advancement, supports Gift Planners and Donor Relations staff, all to coordinate in delivering programming that meets the high-stakes needs of donor cultivation and philanthropy.
- Manages the work of the Programming Committee of the Alumni Association Board of Directors and work of other Alumni Association volunteer leadership (Class Officers, Chapter Officers, Gustavus Recent Alumni steering committee, and others) by co-leading meetings, recruiting new volunteers, engaging current members, and serving as a departmental liaison to constituents and/or committees as requested.
- Develops, updates, and produces printed and electronic materials needed to support events and engagement opportunities, including promotional materials, printed programs, signage, etc. in partnership with the Office of Marketing and Communication and/or members of the Advancement team.
- Designs and executes assessment plans to evaluate the impact of programming and engagement initiatives, recommending and implementing opportunities for growth in the spirit of continuous quality improvement.
- Manages portions of the departmental budget directly linked to programming and events, maintaining a steadfast commitment to efficiency and good stewardship of institutional resources; provides feedback regarding budgetary adjustments as needed.
- Participates in appropriate professional organizations.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited higher education institution.
- Strong oral and written communication, critical thinking, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Exemplary commitment to customer service, timely and consistent follow-through, and transparency and tact in decision making.
- Ability to work both as a self-motivated leader as well as a collaborative and dynamic team member.
- Sophisticated computer literacy and general social media savvy.
- Strong motivation for success and unwavering dedication to excellence.
- Willingness to participate in evening and weekend activities.
- Experience in alumni relations, fundraising, event planning, and/or similar non-profit development or constituent outreach.
- Track record of forging strong working relationships with others and capacity for instilling confidence and trust among internal and external constituents.
- Occasional lifting of materials used for events or programs; weight unlikely to exceed 30 lbs.
- Ability to travel to on- and off-campus locations to attend meetings with constituents and events held off-site.
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
To apply for this job please visit gustavus.edu.