Associate Director of Annual Giving
Harvey Mudd CollegeClaremont, CA
Summary of Job Responsibilities:
As a member of the College Advancement team at Harvey Mudd College, the Associate Director works in a highly collaborative environment to increase annual giving dollars and alumni participation. Under the direction of the Director of Annual Giving, the Associate Director will work to promote and grow a culture of philanthropy while focusing on reunion and millennial alumni giving. They will also assist in increasing overall Leadership Annual Giving, helping grow the pipeline for HMC.
The Associate Director will manage a portfolio of potential Leadership Annual Giving Donors with guidance from the Director of Annual Giving and the Office of Research and Prospect Management, including qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding alumni prospects. This will create meaningful opportunities for contact, including personal visits, with a goal of building relationships and inspiring philanthropic support to the College.
In partnership with gift officers, the Associate Director will help promote departmental priorities and other designated gift opportunities as appropriate and more generally as a tool for increasing alumni participation. They will be helpful with drafting, overseeing appropriate approvals and planning for these types of special appeals. The Associate Director will also be responsible for creating and using fundraising videos and maintaining the Annual Giving pages of the HMC website. They will also manage crowd funding and smaller giving campaigns, like a day of giving, to again help enhance a culture of philanthropy at Harvey Mudd College.
Volunteers will help promote this culture of philanthropy and connect with other alumni via peer-to-peer outreach and solicitations. The Associate Director will effectively manage volunteers, particularly Class Ambassadors and reunion committee volunteers, with the goal of increasing class giving and participation; they will work with a counterpart in Alumni and Parent Relations to increase HMC engagement. Volunteers will also be incredibly valuable during specific College campaigns, such as a day of giving.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in related area and/or equivalent/training.
- Experience: Minimum of two years in a fundraising environment and/or in a marketing or sales role. Experience with annual giving programs is preferred.
- Licenses/Certificates: Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and driving record acceptable to the College’s automobile insurance carrier.
- Experience in higher education, particularly at a small, residential liberal arts college.
- Three to five years of experience in a fundraising environment.
- Experience in managing staff and/or volunteers.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong fundraising skills and experience with personal solicitation.
- Effective communicator of ideas, both written and verbal.
- Ability to manage a portfolio of Leadership Annual Giving Prospects (focusing on millennial Alumni) and professionally represent the College in cultivating, soliciting and stewarding these donors.
- Eagerness to incorporate a crowd-funding platform and strategy within the AG plan.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to partner with volunteer leadership and accomplish shared goals.
- Personal integrity and demonstrated commitment to helping further the mission of HMC.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative team environment and interact successfully with individuals with varying abilities, backgrounds, interests and beliefs.
- Outstanding ability to respond to requests from students, colleagues, donors, and volunteers.
- High attention to detail and ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Knowledge of social networking, web applications, and related strategies.
- Ability to work both independently and as a collaborative member of the diverse Advancement team in support of office goals and values, and the College’s strategic vision.
- Respect for high standards and the maintenance of confidential information.
- Mastery of standard office productivity software (e.g. Microsoft Office programs and Google Suite products) including: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Drive.
- Fundraising database experience preferred; experience with Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge NXT a plus.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Hours: The regular office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; requires some evening and weekend hours including occasional local and regional travel.
- Classification and Status: This is an exempt, 12-month, full-time, benefits-eligible position.
- Reporting: Reports to the Director of Annual Giving.
Please visit www.hmc.edu/employment to view a complete job description for this position and obtain information about how to submit an application. Information about HMC’s competitive benefits package is available at www.hmc.edu/hrbenefits.
Deadline to apply:
Position will remain open until filled.
All faculty and staff (including contract workers) who are employed at HMC and for whom the COVID-19 vaccine is approved/authorized by the FDA, must be vaccinated against COVID-19, and provide proof of vaccination, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise.
This job description defines the essential job duties of the position. Harvey Mudd College expects that employees hired for this position can perform the essential functions of the job without imposing risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others. It may also include marginal functions, generally defined within Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Regular employment at the College is at-will and for no specified period of time; conditions and status of employment (hours, pay, title, duties, etc.) are subject to change at any time. Employees, and likewise the College, are free to end the employment relationship at any time, for any reason, with or without notice or cause, unless otherwise prohibited by law.
To apply for this job please visit theclaremontcolleges.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.