Associate Director for Advancement – Major Gifts
Illinois Wesleyan UniversityBloomington, IL
The University’s Office for Advancement invites applications for the full-time position of Associate Director for Advancement – Major Gifts. While the position is intended to be on-campus, remote work opportunities can be considered. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Advancement, this person will build and strengthen relationships within an assigned portfolio of alumni, friends, and parents connected to the IWU community in order to facilitate philanthropy at the major gift level (ability to give $100,000 and above).
- Cultivate and personally solicit a portfolio of major gift and planned gift prospects from alumni, friends, and parents with the giving ability of $100,000 and above.
- To achieve fundraising goals, one is expected to make at least 100 personal visits to prospects each year, along with ongoing communication. Extensive travel is required for this position. Overnight stays average 30+ nights per year.
- Document all visits, contacts, and communications with assigned prospects in the Advancement database system.
- Acquire and maintain an in-depth knowledge of Illinois Wesleyan’s history, current programs, activities, and culture.
- Identify and research other prospects capable of providing major gifts to the University.
- Provide direction and support for regional activities and campaign initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible experience in institutional advancement with an emphasis on major gifts, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Candidates with a track record of success in goal-oriented positions will be considered.
- Excellent communication skills–oral, written, and listening.
- Strong people and relationship-building skills with constituents from a variety of backgrounds and a range of generations. Ability to navigate conversations across differing cultural and political viewpoints.
- Ability to function with a high degree of independence and work within a team. Demonstrate a strong work ethic and experience producing positive results within a goal-oriented and collaborative environment.
- Valid US driver’s license.
Please download the application at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/Positions.html. Illinois Wesleyan University is committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse, inclusive and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
Applicants are required to submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- Describe previous experiences/education related to responsibilities and requirements above
- A statement describing your understanding of diversity and inclusion and how your experiences have prepared you to contribute to the IWU commitment to these values
- Contact information for up to three professional references
Review of complete applicant materials will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The final candidate will pass a pre-employment background investigation.
Illinois Wesleyan University is strongly committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse, inclusive, and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students. We seek candidates who have a demonstrated commitment to supporting and further building our community in these dimensions. Illinois Wesleyan University’s sexual misconduct policy may be accessed at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/SexualMisconductPolicy.html. Illinois Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusive excellence; details at www.iwu.edu/diversity.
To apply for this job please visit www.iwu.edu.