Assistant Director, Campus & Parent Philanthropy
James Madison UniversityHarrisonburg, VA
- In coordination with the Associate Director and overall annual giving plan, craft, implement and analyze parent solicitations through available solicitation channels
- Partner with Parent Relations and Alumni Relations to support consistent and intentional parent engagement opportunities.
- Act as liaison to the Parents Council, JMU’s volunteer board of parents, actively participating in planning and implementation of board activities, including Resource Development committee needs, and full board solicitation efforts.
- Work with the Telefund & Stewardship Coordinator and the Office of Donor Relations to properly cultivate and steward parent donors.
- Serve as a member of the UA Parent Giving Task Force to ensure parent giving and engagement opportunities are maximized and coordinated across all UA efforts.
- Under the direction of the Annual Giving Director and in close collaboration with the Director of Advancement Relations, act as the project manager for various departments and colleges across campus, providing annual giving support, guidance and advice for specific fundraising efforts.
- Work with the Colleges, Development staff and Athletics to ensure annual fund solicitations are coordinated and conducted according to university protocol.
- Work with deans and program directors to ensure the Office of Annual Giving is meeting their annual fund needs.
- Serve as main liaison to imbedded development officers to provide annual giving support to various colleges and departments.
- Coordinate with Advancement departments as needed, including Marketing, Alumni Relations and Advancement Information Services, to ensure annual giving needs are supported across campus.
- Develop supporting materials, toolkits and guidelines for colleges/departments to follow and utilize.
- Research, develop and implement a sustainable approach for leveraging crowdfunding as a tool and work with OAG team to integrate into the over-arching annual giving strategy.
- Develop and execute plans for #GivingTuesday focused on supporting campus partner’s fundraising initiatives
- Manage DukesFunder [ScaleFunder] crowdfunding platform including, but not limited to: work with AIS on any necessary upgrades and process updates, partner with ScaleFunder for best practices and Advancement Marketing for branding updates.
- In collaboration with Donor Relations, inventory stewardship efforts across campus; research and communicate emerging trends and best practices in donor engagement and stewardship
- Collaborate with Donor Relations to provide guidance and support for annual Employee Giving Breakfast.
- Establish FYE Impact Report tied to campus philanthropy
- Assist Director of Annual Giving in planning and implementing a comprehensive annual fundraising program based on the priorities of the university and its academic units.
- Provide regular statistical reports on the status of program areas.
- Maintain budget oversight for all assigned program areas.
- Assume responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Annual Giving to advance CE and University Advancement Division goals.
- Work collaboratively with team members to execute strategies that achieve maximum program success.
- Maintain ongoing knowledge of philanthropic and annual giving trends, especially related to personal solicitation and parent giving.
- Attend department, unit and division meetings and events as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Two – four years related experience; preferably in a higher education annual fund.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to deal effectively and sensitively with diverse populations.
- Willingness to work some flexible hours, including evenings, and weekends.
- Proficient software skills in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), email, internet, and database familiarity.
- Excellent time management skills and use of effective tracking methods to complete work and projects.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills that demonstrate respect for others, support for department and organizational goals and the ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to analyze information to identify key issues and effectively adjust.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently, including overnight travel.
Conditions of Employment:
- Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check.
- E-Verify Notice: After accepting employment, new hires are required to complete an I-9 form and present documentation of their identity and eligibility to work in the United States. James Madison University uses the E-Verify system to confirm identity and work authorization.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.
We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality.
To apply for this job please visit joblink.jmu.edu.