Director, Annual Giving & Direct Marketing
Lucile Packard Foundation for Children's HealthPalo Alto, CA
The Lucile Packard Foundation for Children’s Health seeks a Director, Annual Giving & Direct Marketing to join its Annual Giving team. The Director reports to the Associate Vice President, Children’s Fund and is responsible for management of the direct appeal programs (direct mail and digital), which help sustain and increase annual support through the Lucile Packard Children’s Fund. The Director is responsible for driving the strategy, messaging, letter and insert copy, execution, and tracking of direct appeal projects that support the annual giving program.
Due to Covid-19, employees of LPFCH are currently working remotely, with the expectation of returning to the office within the next few months (subject to extension as circumstances warrant). Once the office reopens, employees will transition to a hybrid work model. Please note that LPFCH has a Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and that all new employees must submit proof of their Covid-19 vaccination at the time their employment commences. Alternatively, prior to commencing employment, new employees may request approval for an accommodation for an exemption to the policy as permitted by law
General Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for developing strategies for effective and cost-efficient direct appeal programs utilizing a variety of mediums including direct mail, telemarketing, email, and social media.
- Plan and implement appropriate solicitation strategies for donor, lapsed donor, and prospect segments, and will be responsible for analyzing program results and meeting set goals.
- Create a strategic messaging plan appropriate to specific donor populations and craft appeal content including letters, phone scripts, and supporting pieces.
- Oversee the production of appeals by working with designers and vendors. In the process, the Director will work with members of the Strategic Communications team to ensure appeals have strong synergy with the Foundation’s communications strategy.
- Determine appropriate solicitation populations and implement strategies to maximize donor acquisition, retention, and upgrade.
- Manage a Development Associate, Annual Giving & Direct Marketing and a Development Assistant who are responsible for pulling data files, working with vendors, tracking program results, and crafting solicitation materials as needed.
- Maintain a strong working relationship with vendors, including the direct mail and telemarketing vendors and graphic designers.
- Work cooperatively with the rest of the annual giving team and other members of the Foundation staff.
NOTE: We are a dynamic organization in a rapidly changing industry. Therefore, the responsibilities associated with this position will evolve and grow in accordance with LPFCH’s business needs and growth plans. More specifically, the incumbent may be required to perform additional and/or different responsibilities based on the future growth plans for the Foundation.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline and/or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in development and/or direct marketing or a similar field.
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook products including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge or other donor databases.
- Experience analyzing data and results.
- Prior management experience.
- A demonstrated understanding of annual giving and the essential components of a successful leadership gifts program.
- Experience in higher education and/or healthcare.
Competencies the Director, Annual Giving & Direct Marketing must possess:
- Exemplary communications skills:
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with proven ability to communicate a compelling case for annual support through written materials.
- Experience with promotional writing, marketing, and creating marketing concepts.
- Demonstrated editing, proofreading, and copyediting skills.
- Program manager who operates strategically, autonomously and within a team:
- Experience in project management or directing an appeals program as well as an understanding of the use of direct mail and telemarketing to generate and sustain annual support.
- Ability to work autonomously and creatively, setting priorities and completing assignments in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and initiative in follow up.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people and to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with the capacity to manage multiple projects simultaneously:
- Ability to review and analyze gift information as well as donor number and behavior trends. Ability to demonstrate and utilize such information to determine appropriate direct appeals strategies and messages.
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment with strong attention to detail.
- Sound judgment and integrity:
- Use of good judgment and treat confidential information with discretion.
- High level of adaptability and flexibility:
- Ability to be supportive and flexible.
- Ability to utilize database software.
- Mission orientation:
- Possesses a genuine interest in improving child and maternal health.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.myapps.paychex.com.