Executive Director of Development
Mary Baldwin UniversityStaunton, VA
Summary: The Executive Director will provide leadership and vision for the development of a robust major gifts program at the university and will be charged with hiring at least one gift officer as the university seeks to build and enhance its pipeline in support of university priorities. The Executive Director will also be responsible for managing the Advancement services team with a focus on creating systems and strategies which support the university’s fundraising priorities and will report to the Vice President of University Advancement.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Manages a portfolio of donor prospects and is accountable for both visit and proposal metrics.
- Provides leadership to the university in the direction and movement of its pipeline of major prospects and donors by working closely with the VP for Advancement and President to ensure that fundraising goals are met.
- Supports the work of campaign volunteers and works collaboratively with the VP and the President to ensure that the university’s case for support is compelling and timely.
- Conducts regular prospect review sessions with Advancement staff to ensure that prospects are moving through the pipeline from identification to stewardship.
- Partners with the Executive Director of Alumni Engagement and DIrector of Annual Philanthropy to consistently identify opportunities to engage prospective donors.
- Provides strategic management to the Director of Advancement Services and her team with a focus ensuring that systems which support the prospect pipeline in use.
- Recruits a talented and productive Major Gifts team, beginning with one gift officer.
- Serves as a leader in the Office of University Advancement and contributes to the Mary Baldwin community in furthering the mission of the institution.
- A record of successful leadership including experience in hiring, mentoring, and developing staff;
- Demonstrated leadership skills that encourage teamwork and interaction;
- A proven track record of 5+ years of fundraising at the major gifts level;
- Knowledge of processes and advancement operations including prospect management and tracking, donor relations, and gift processing;
- High energy, drive, integrity, and sincerity;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills;
- Initiative, strong attention to detail, timeliness, discretion, mature judgment, and an entrepreneurial spirit;
- A proven commitment to diversity and inclusion in developing staff and in the implementation of university programs and services; and
- Basic knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or other CRM software ;
- Bachelor’s degree required
To apply for this job please visit www.higheredjobs.com.