Director of Development, MGH Fund Employee Campaigns and Special Programs
Massachusetts General HospitalBoston, MA
The Director of Development is a key partner and leader of several pivotal programs for the hospital’s development efforts, including the My Giving Helps program, the highly successful employee fundraising campaign for the MGH Fund and United Way; the MGH Fund’s Special Programs and Donor Events initiatives; and the MGH Fund Leadership Council. Reporting to the Senior Director, MGH Fund, the Director also provides leadership to two Development Officers on the team.
The successful candidate will be an exceptional manager with a strong understanding of annual fund and major gifts fundraising principles and practices. Strong project management and organizational skills, and the ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment, are also key attributes for this role. Candidates should be detail-oriented, creative, entrepreneurial, professional, and collegial. Experience working with high-level volunteers is preferred.
Diversity and inclusion are priorities for our office and the hospital. We strongly believe that encouraging a broad range of opinions, ideas and perspectives drives creativity, innovation, and excellence. In the Development Office, we are committed to advancing equity by building a team with diverse identities and experiences.
Due to COVID-19 workplace safety guidelines, our team members are presently working remotely, with some exceptions. Until a return to our on-site office setting is approved by hospital leadership, interviews will be conducted virtually. We remain flexible and are prepared to discuss your needs during this time.
My Giving Helps: the MGH Fund and United Way employee campaign
- Update and implement the annual strategic fundraising plan for the employee campaign, ensuring a diverse, equitable, and inclusive representation of hospital co-chairs and champions
- Staff and support employee campaign Co-Chairs comprised of hospital senior leaders
- Oversee the My Giving Helps Champion volunteer program
- Lead the relationship with the United Way in strategic planning, events participation, gift processing and other collaborative efforts
- Oversee the creative direction and creation of e-communications schedule, including content targeting and communication design
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 150 leadership-level employee donors to the MGH Fund and provide appropriate cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
MGH Fund Leadership Council
- Partner with MGH Fund team members to staff and support the MGH Fund Leadership Council volunteer committee
- Prepare briefings, quarterly meeting materials, and reports for hospital leadership and the Council Chair
MGH Fund Special Programs and Events
- Lead internal collaborations to implement and launch new employee fundraising initiatives and Special Programs, such as 31 Nights of Light and Virtual Day of Giving
- Collaborate with Corporate and Foundation Relations on institutional giving and other initiatives to benefit the MGH Fund
- Plan and manage the execution of all signature MGH Fund and My Giving Helps events in collaboration with the Development Officer and Special Events team
- Provide direct management to two Development Officers supporting the MGH Fund team, and lead all performance and recruitment activities
- Partner with the Senior Director to oversee donor marketing initiatives as appropriate
- Collaborate with Development Information Management team in donor list and other database management and reporting projects
- Use sensitivity, good judgment, relationship-building skills and overall standards of excellence in communicating with donors, physicians, hospital leadership, and others internal and external to the hospital
- Keep diversity, equity, and inclusion at the forefront of all elements of work
- Serve as departmental resource as needed
- Participate in professional development and shadowing opportunities
- Prepare and regularly update progress reports
- Contribute to maintaining positive office morale, even in the face of high work volume and challenging periods
- Assist with recruitment activities as needed
- Take on other office-wide duties at the request of Development leadership
- Adhere to the mission, credo, and standards of behavior of Mass General Hospital
This position requires 7-10 years of experience and a bachelor’s degree.
We are looking for someone with experience working with complex development programs, events, and high-end annual fund or major gift donors and volunteers, or related transferrable skills.
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess the following skills, abilities, and attitudes:
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Superior project management skills
- Active listening skills and the ability to influence others
- Experience managing and engaging with leadership volunteers
- Proven ability to motivate, engage and work collaboratively with diverse audiences in a variety of situations
- Ability to think strategically and manage multiple individual and team projects effectively
- Problem-solving skills and sound judgment
- A strong work ethic
- Professionalism, resourcefulness, flexibility, a learning mindset, trustworthiness, and the ability to adhere to confidentiality guidelines
- An organized, efficient, collaborative, entrepreneurial, conscientious, and results-oriented work style
- Motivation to learn and display flexibility in a changing environment
- Proficiency in data management and reporting (Blackbaud CRM or Raiser’s Edge preferred)
Mass General is committed to diversity among its employees and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected groups such as veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit partners.taleo.net.