Associate Director of Annual Giving and Alumni Engagement
Montclair State UniversityMontclair, NJ
Under the direction of the Assistant Vice President, the Associate Director is responsible for building and strengthening the alumni network by planning and implementing engagement opportunities which foster lifelong mutually enriching connections, support University priorities and initiatives, create an inclusive community among alumni, current and prospective students and the University, and cultivate a culture of philanthropy.
The Associate Director works closely with Annual Giving to increase individual giving and pipeline development through the identification, engagement, cultivation and solicitation of annual gifts as well as through the development and support of targeted constituent giving programs.
The Associate Director sets strategy for, and manages implementation of, broad-based digital engagement/solicitation initiatives for the Office of Annual Giving and Alumni Engagement, ensuring that all digital channels support and integrate the overall strategic objectives and operational goals of these critical functional areas. The position is responsible for the execution of the strategy for online programming, engagement/giving technology platforms, crowdfunding/micro campaigns and online giving channels.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and facilitate high impact alumni engagement opportunities through digital initiatives, including video lectures/TED-type talks (live and recorded), benefits/services and the online alumni platform; incorporate the use of technology into events and activities to enhance the engagement program.
- Implement, market and manage fundraising initiatives through crowdfunding/mini campaigns, social media, giving days (Giving Tuesday, Day of Giving); incorporate philanthropic messaging into existing constituent-based events and communications.
- Support the planning and implementation of the alumni engagement program, including events and activities, benefits and services, communications, volunteer opportunities and campus/community partnerships.
- Manage a portfolio of annual giving prospects with the responsibility for the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of prospects/donors annually. Work to generate major gift leads through new and existing annual giving donors.
- Responsible for setting goals and objectives for assigned segments, developing strategies needed to achieve goals and objectives, and creating and implementing action plans. Continuously review and evaluate programs to develop and implement improved methods as required.Oversee online services provided to alumni (e.g., online directory, email for life, event calendar, etc.) and manage relationships with vendors and in-house IT partners to deliver these services.
- Responsible for the overall usability, analytics, marketing and promotion of the online community, enhancing functionality and building identity as the portal for all alumni access.
- Design and implement a comprehensive social media strategy for engagement/giving, including identifying and managing a core group of social media ambassadors / volunteers focused on the goal of encouraging peer-to-peer engagement and solicitation.
- Create/deliver engaging content for alumni communications, e-solicitation appeals and online giving opportunities; maintain existing web content on alumni/annual giving site and online community.
- Review budget, process and track expenditures, and provide regular reports. Make recommendations and projections as needed.
- Compile, summarize and analyze statistical and other data; prepare clear, technically sound, accurate and informative reports containing findings, conclusions and recommendations.
- Lead alumni and student volunteer committees/groups; manage time, activity and expectations to achieve goals in support of institutional priorities.
- Establish and maintain communication and cooperative working relationships with fellow administrators, faculty, staff, students and student organizations, government and private agencies and/or the community in order to accomplish the objectives of the engagement and giving program; serve on standing and ad hoc committees as required.
- Develop and conduct market research (surveys, roundtable discussions, interviews) as needed.
- Provide outstanding customer service to all constituents including alumni, faculty, staff, students, parents and the community; field phone calls, e-mails and walk-in visits.
- Maintain integrity and appropriate confidentiality in alumni/donor engagement program operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of three years relevant professional experience in an institution of higher education, or other field that is directly related to the functions of the position to be filled.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively in developing program goals, policies and procedures for assigned segments of the engagement program.
- Basic knowledge of program planning.
- Strong project management and organizational skills; ability to set priorities and meet deadlines, while balancing multiple projects and performing assignments accurately.
- Basic knowledge of the principles of budget planning, development and administration.
- Ability to work evening and weekend events as required.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Experience in alumni engagement and/or annual giving in higher education.
- Knowledge of digital platforms and the ability to maximize technology to achieve goals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of an alumni engagement program purpose, goals and objectives.
- Broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising and the ability to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle.
- Experience managing and evaluating staff performance and objectives.
- Familiarity with and use of Raiser’s Edge and other engagement/giving platforms.
- High comfort level with learning/use of technology platforms.
Procedure for Candidacy:
Applicants should include a resume and cover letter describing how their background, skills and education match the needs of the University. When applying, please take a moment to carefully read and follow the steps in the application instructions.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity.
To apply for this job please visit montclair.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.