Donor Experience Officer
Pacific Lutheran UniversityTacoma, WA
The Donor Experience Officer (DXO) is a results-motivated, curious and digital-first communicator who is committed to living out the values of diversity, equity and inclusion. Working as a fundraiser and communicator on the Annual Giving team, this person helps grow and strengthen a generous community at scale by leveraging digital communication tools to express gratitude, raise philanthropic dollars, conduct audience research, and invite non-financial engagement. The DXO primarily focuses on retaining and upgrading loyal and mid-level donor groups and also acquires new donors from engaged non-donor groups. This is an Associate Director-level position reporting to the Director of Annual Giving.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Within a ~1000 person portfolio, conduct engagement and solicitation (50%); research and reporting (25%); and content and opportunity curation (15%).
- Leverage digital communication tools to renew and acquire annual donations and to engage constituent groups, adapting or creating fundraising messaging as needed.
- Achieve clear activity, retention and upgrade goals.
- Conduct constituent group research via the database and qualitative methods and report findings.
- Adjust portfolio composition, as needed, to identify and segment constituent groups.
- Partner closely with colleagues in Donor Relations, Gift Planning and Alumni & Student Connections.
- Ensure communications are consistent with the university brand and in the spirit of institutional and team commitments diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Stay up to date on established and emerging practices, tools and tactics in fundraising, donor experience programs, and digital communications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Self-motivated, curious and eager to learn about and engage with many people and large amounts of information in meaningful, results-oriented and efficient ways.
- Exceptional communicator, both written and verbal, with a strong understanding of digital communication tools and the knowledge and ability to create and adapt communications for different platforms and diverse individuals.
- Enthusiasm and willingness to make direct person-to-person requests for donations.
- Strong research and analysis skills or willingness to learn.
- Willingness to co-create, learn and grow an emerging approach to donor development.
- Appreciation for higher education and the mission of PLU.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and to contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Five years of job-related experience such as fundraising, audience research, sales and/or communication. Education may substitute for some experience.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Finalist applicants must satisfactorily complete pre-employment background check and declaration regarding sexual misconduct with references, subject to verification.
- Experience in a donor and/or customer-facing communications role.
- Experience using a CRM and/or donor database.
- Familiarity with higher education and/or a Bachelor’s degree.
At PLU, diversity is intrinsic to the vitality of learning, resilience and growth. PLU is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from members of historically underrepresented and minoritized groups, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and others who would bring broadly diverse perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds in educational, research or other work activities. PLU offers an excellent benefits package including tuition remission for employees and their dependents, retirement plan, medical, dental, paid vacation, major holidays off, and many other great university benefits.
To apply for this job please visit employment.plu.edu.