Senior Manager, Annual Giving
The Scripps Research InstituteLa Jolla, San Diego, California, USA
The Senior Manager of Annual Giving reports to the Senior Director of Philanthropy in La Jolla and works closely with the Communications team, the Donor Relations Manager, and the frontline fundraisers. This role is responsible for a portfolio of leadership annual giving prospects as well as the bi-coastal multi-channel marketing-fundraising efforts, from e-philanthropy and direct mail to online giving and digital campaigns.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage a portfolio of leadership annual giving prospects through the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and renewal process with an emphasis on $1,000 to $25,000 gifts
- Collaborate with Communications Department to write, design and create materials to support all fundraising efforts, including direct mail, email, and social media
- Leverage internal resources and talents to establish a dynamic online presence that is seamlessly coordinated with external communications efforts
- Partner closely with Communications social media efforts to identify outstanding opportunities to reinforce fundraising campaigns and boost online giving
- Partner closely with Donor Relations Manager to ensure annual giving donors are stewarded with thoughtfully and strategically to retain, renew, and upgrade their financial and emotional investment over time
- Create targeted, segmented solicitations for specific donors, for Florida and California campuses with a cohesive, bi-coastal strategy that is tailored or tweaked as needed to meet the needs of each community of donors and prospects
- Create and oversee a comprehensive fundraising plan and multi-channel appeal schedule for acquisition, reacquisition, and renewal/upgrade donor solicitation series
- Assess and recommend new strategies, channels, and projects that fall under the purview of annual giving fundraising
- Serve as team lead for Giving Tuesday and other large scale fundraising communications/campaigns
- Prepare Annual Giving progress reports and updates
- Analyze data on Annual Giving performance and utilize it to make decisions about program direction and orchestration
- Partner with development colleagues in support of fundraising initiatives and strategies for all giving levels
- Represent the development department at lectures, dinners, and other donor events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Use knowledge, experience, data and good judgment to identify needs and recommend changes in building and executing a strong annual giving program.
Interact externally with various potential donors to solicit, cultivate and steward relationships. Interact internally with Communications and Philanthropy colleagues as well as faculty, grad students, and administrative management as needed in order to gather supporting information for collateral and/or gain support/approval. Initiates and engages in collegial, transparent strategy discussions to help advance the team’s goals effectively.
Scope and Complexity
Work on problems that are complex in scope where critical analysis of the Scripps Research data, national trends and outstanding opportunities requires a high degree of thoughtfulness, creativity, and data driven analysis to achieve business milestones and fundraising goals.
Supervision of Others
Individual contributor. Does not supervise but may assign work to an assistant or coordinator in development.
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience is required.
- 5+ years of experience in nonprofit fundraising environment with demonstrated success in implementing and managing complex communications projects
- Intelligence, maturity, and sound judgment, necessary for interacting with donors and prospects, faculty, staff, and other constituents.
- Project management skills and a demonstrated ability to set and complete priority projects under deadline.
- A very high degree of initiative with a self-motivated, enthusiastic, goal-oriented attitude.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills.
- High level of professionalism, including stellar follow-through and attention to detail.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Donor management systems experience, ideally, Raisers Edge
- Some evenings and weekends for special events and donor visits.
The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.scripps.edu.
- Next s