Associate Director of Advancement Communications
The New SchoolNew York, NY
The New School is strongly committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and particularly seeks applications from members of underrepresented groups, as well as candidates who share this commitment.
- Provides leadership for audience segmentation, content strategy, target messaging, and activation and engagement programs to advance Development & Alumni Engagement strategic goals, complementing The New School overall communications strategy.
- Ensures that communications to alumni and other external constituencies reflect the mission, values and strategic objectives of the institution.
- Works collaboratively with university colleagues to develop and execute client-focused marketing campaigns for signature events (both foreign and domestic), news, and programs that resonate deeply with advancement’s internal and external communities including, but not limited to alumni, parents, donors, corporations, foundations, NY neighbors, and international partners.
- Oversees the provision of internal and external design, writing, editing, graphics, and production, in a range of media from traditional to state-of-the-art digital.
- Works with senior leadership to identify appropriate metrics to measure and track success of communications programs, making changes and redirecting strategies as needed.
- Manages and optimizes social channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, The New School Network/Graduway) to build a thriving social community using best practices to create and optimize paid and unpaid content.
- Cultivates a portfolio of social media influencers to engage in university initiatives, regional and international events, and more through strategic partnerships.
- Serves as the primary liaison for advancement communications and news coverage, by managing a list of notable and influential alumni, parents, and donors, determining criteria and categories, and disseminating information and news to key stakeholders, leading to increased engagement and interest in university programs.
- Maintains The New School Giving and Alumni sections of the newschool.edu website, updating content, and overseeing design and navigation projects with university partners.
- Maintains knowledge of and coaches staff across the university on best practices in advancement and alumni engagement, volunteer service and management, programming, metrics, and philanthropy.
- Assists with special projects and performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree in Communications or related credential preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in alumni relations, development, public relations, or marketing within a complex organization.
- Eager to work with ethnically, culturally, and socially diverse constituencies with a strong affinity with The New School’s mission and community.
- Demonstrated success in taking initiative while working flexibly in a team environment.
- Proven success implementing digital marketing campaigns.
- Excellent analytical skills and knowledge of data analysis with demonstrated ability to collect, explain and deploy metrics
- Exceptional organizational, verbal, and written communication skills with the ability to effectively engage and collaborate with a variety of constituencies including, but not limited to alumni, donors, administrators, students, and faculty.
- Extensive experience with email service providers, HTML, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and email marketing best practices.
- Strong technology skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Ability to set priorities, deal efficiently with multiple tasks, and meet frequent deadlines.
- Some evenings and weekend hours required.
To apply for this job please visit careers.newschool.edu.