Assistant Director, Annual Giving
University of ArizonaTucson, AZ
General Position Summary:
The Office of Annual Giving partners with University of Arizona colleges, departments, health science centers and other programs to generate consistent philanthropic support through direct mail, phone, and online fundraising campaigns.
The Assistant Director of Annual Giving plans and coordinates direct marketing campaigns to generate philanthropic support from alumni, parents, and friends for the University of Arizona. This includes coordination of centralized University appeals and consulting with various institution stakeholders on decentralized appeals. This position also coordinates activities of vendors for design, printing, and mailing services. This position requires a high degree of professionalism, discretion, initiative and organization; accuracy and attention to detail; and an ability to set priorities and handle multiple projects with limited supervision.
No supervisory responsibilities.
Essential Function/Major Responsibilities:
- Participate in strategic planning process for comprehensive annual giving program and align direct mail and online appeals strategies with department plan.
- Coordinate direct mail and email appeals to acquire, renew, and upgrade donors, including:
- Implementing annual solicitation calendar of appeals supporting colleges, departments, centers, and other University priorities.
- Recommending design concepts, drafting solicitation letters or coordinating copywriting, and providing creative direction to graphic artist.
- Coordinating with Communications office to ensure adherence to Foundation and University brand standards.
- Drafting mail plans and matrices to document strategic plans/decisions and communicate segmentation and production variables for appeals.
- Collaborating with department colleagues on development and implementation of email appeals.
- Delivering appeals within established timelines.
- Developing and implementing processes to ensure accuracy.
- Identifying and instructing vendors as necessary.
- Adhering to budgets and tracking/reporting expenses.
- Researching and implementing best practices.
- Coordinate the development and approval of cases for support, fundraising letters, telephone outreach program scripts, and acknowledgment letters.
- Consult with stakeholders and research and report best practices in the development and implementation of unit-based direct mail and/or online fundraising campaigns.
- Coordinate printing and mail production of mass audience stewardship communications.
- Work with director and campus colleagues to promote University fundraising priorities through faculty/staff giving campaign.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of higher education fund-raising best practices and annual giving programs.
- Experience with direct marketing processes, including list selection and segmentation, effective messaging and design, print production and lettershop, and tracking and reporting results.
- Must possess and demonstrate ability to communicate in an articulate and professional manner with competency in spoken and written English grammar.
- Ability to manage multiple projects to deadline while maintaining quality and integrity of work product.
- Adept at problem-solving and using judgment in situations requiring initiative, tact, and confidentiality.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in a team environment.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations for cost estimates and budget reports.
- Position requires ardent attention to detail.
- Must be technically competent and comfortable using a variety of software applications including MS Office and data management systems.
- Bachelors degree required.
- Three years experience coordinating programs.
- Proficiency in the use of personal computers and Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Higher education and/or non-profit development experience.
- Experience with Blackbaud CRM database management system.
- Experience coordinating the efforts of direct mail and mail services vendors.
- Due to the nature of the position, there is a high exposure to a computer screen.
- This position may require sitting for long periods of time.
- This position may require evening or weekend hours, as well as moderate travel.
To apply for this job please visit arizona.csod.com.