Director of Digital, Annual, and Leadership Annual Giving
University of California Santa CruzSanta Cruz, CA
This position reports to the Assistant Vice Chancellor, Constituent and Donor Engagement and is a member of the Development Leadership team. The Director serves a critical role to evaluate current strengths, identify new opportunities, and accelerate activity to meet annual revenue goals, increase alumni participation rates, and broaden the base of constituent engagement. The Director sets strategic direction and leads planning and coordination for the implementation of ambitious multi-channel direct marketing campaigns (including direct mail, digital, and phonathon channels) targeting a variety of constituents, ranging from alumni and parents to faculty/staff and “friends” of the university. The Director also sets vision and direction for a personalized program which maximizes recurring annual gifts at the leadership level (up to $25K), with a goal to move donors with capacity toward the major gift program. The Director works collaboratively with colleagues across University Relations, the Colleges, and the academic divisions to leverage a variety of opportunities to engage Annual and Leadership Annual Giving donors to support the mission of the University. The Director will have their own small leadership annual giving portfolio.
Salary Information: Minimum Starting Salary: $110,000/annually. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
60% – Annual and Leadership Annual Giving management:
- Responsible for developing and executing annual giving strategies that achieve university goals for donor retention and acquisition, growth in both donors and dollars, and increased support from undergraduate alumni.
- Oversee the development of annual and multi-year solicitation and stewardship plans that allow units to achieve short and long-term goals around revenue and donor count for various campus units and programs, divisional departments, and the colleges.
- Stay current with industry trends, best practices and technologies and propose innovative strategies and tactics to advance divisional and university objectives.
- Track data, and ensure analysis and reporting on multi-channel direct marketing campaigns and progress toward goals for the LAG team to ensure strategies are reaching expected outcomes and proactively offer solutions when changes in strategies or tactics may be required.
- Ensure the team provides exceptional donor experiences through a variety of giving opportunities, and in how donors are solicited, thanked, and recognized.
- Using industry best practices, develop and implement a plan for increasing leadership annual giving donors year-over-year at a variety of levels, including increasing the number of recurring $1,000+ donors.
- Manage a small portfolio and solicit Leadership Annual Giving gifts.
- Work with Marketing and Communications staff to design and implement marketing and case statement materials for leadership annual giving initiatives or programs.
- Ensure the team is receiving and processing gifts appropriately, and acknowledging and tracking interactions with donors.
- Provide presentations on Digital, Annual and Leadership Annual Giving programs and projects as requested.
- Collaborate with the Director of Prospect Research and Management and the Major Gift team to transition donors into the Major Gift program as appropriate.
20% – Collaboration to enhance donor support:
- Leverage existing event opportunities as a way for prospective donors to deepen their connection to the campus.
- Collaborate with Gift Planning to identify prospective planned giving donors and develop strategies to solicit them.
- Collaborate with Alumni Engagement to transition donors into Leadership Annual Giving portfolios as appropriate.
- Work with Stewardship staff to ensure a meaningful donor acknowledgment and appreciation experience for annual and leadership annual donors reflecting the impact of their giving.
20% – Supervision and Other Projects:
- Manage and provide direction to the Associate Director Annual & Digital Giving and Associate Director and Assistant Director of Leadership Annual Giving including hiring, training, providing direction, and performance management.
- Other special projects as identified.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Proficient working with donor databases and reporting systems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a myriad of people of differing temperaments, socioeconomic backgrounds, and political/ethical philosophies; and to be tactful, diplomatic, and attentive in personal contacts with donors, external constituencies, and university personnel.
- Excellent time management, organizational, and decision-making skills to prioritize work, meet deadlines for simultaneous projects, and make decisions using independent judgment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills sufficient to prepare and deliver reports and presentations to both small and large groups.
- Excellent organizational skills, including an ability to prioritize projects and workflow, and make decisions using independent judgment.
- Strong computer skills, preferably in a mixed Macintosh-Windows environment, with proficient working knowledge of common software programs, e.g. MS Office Suite.
- Experience and/or skills sufficient to prepare, produce, and statistically analyze trends and create reports.
- Experience using social media platforms to engage volunteers and promote initiatives.
- Knowledge and experience working with volunteers.
- Familiarity with crowdfunding and online grassroots campaigns.
- Ability to work effectively in both a team environment and in an independent/unsupervised capacity.
- Basic understanding of fund-raising principles.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.