Director of Annual Giving
University of Mary WashingtonFredericksburg, VA
The Advancement Division of the University of Mary Washington garners philanthropic support from alumni, parents, friends, foundations and other organizations to advance the priorities of the University. It is responsible for developing strategic initiatives and tactical plans that support the vision created by the Board of Visitors, President, and senior leadership of the University. Gift revenue will be pursued in a manner consistent with UMW’s culture, values, policies, and priorities.
General Description of Position:
Reporting to the Executive Director of Development, the Director of Annual Giving provides strategic leadership, tactical direction, and overall management for the University’s annual giving program including personal solicitation, direct mail, telemarketing, online giving, crowdfunding, and digital communications.
This position oversees and implements global solicitation and stewardship strategies for the Fund for Mary Washington, athletics fundraising, reunion giving, and other annual giving programs possibly to include telemarketing, young alumni and student fundraising, and crowdfunding programs.
- Strong managerial, leadership and supervisory skills necessary
- Demonstrated organizational and communication skills as well as ability to work with and motivate other development professionals and volunteers
- Demonstrated success and progressive achievements in a goal-driven and empirically measured system
- Excellent skill and understanding of computer and constituent software required
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Willingness and ability to travel and to work nights and weekends, as required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate and work effectively with others to establish priorities, set objectives, and achieve goals, including peers and colleagues in other academic and administrative departments.
- Strong written and verbal presentation skills.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to harness the creativity of others, and power of technology, to develop and promote effective fundraising campaigns.
- Ability to translate organizational strategic imperatives or vision into actionable unit-level strategy and operational plans.
- Highly organized with the ability to analyze and communicate information to a wide range of audiences and constituent groups.
- Strong understanding of annual giving and direct marketing best practice in higher education, including knowledge of relevant research and current trends in crowdfunding, digital engagement and use of social media.
Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree
- Prefer at least five years of progressive experience in annual giving and at least three years of management experience.
- Experience leading annual giving operations within higher education or a complex non-profit environment.
- Extensive experience in testing and evaluating direct marketing propositions, copy and design.
- Preferred experience leading the development of strategy for complex direct response marketing or annual giving operations. Equivalent experience will be considered.
To apply for this job please visit careers.umw.edu.