Director of Annual Giving
University of Massachusetts LowellLowell, MA
General Summary of Position:
Reporting to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Development, the Director of Annual Giving will be a hands-on team member providing leadership and management for the annual giving program to achieve the desired annual fundraising results for the University. The Director will oversee and execute a comprehensive annual giving program inclusive of all solicitations, including direct mail, email, leadership annual giving, giving days, crowdfunding, and face-to-face meetings to expand the donor base, retain donors, and increase dollars raised. The position will develop and facilitate a pattern of annual support for the University.
Strategy, Coordination, and Execution
- Develop and execute annual fundraising strategies for key constituents; alumni, leadership giving, young alumni, faculty/staff, friends and parents. Develop innovative strategies to increase alumni giving participation, utilizing volunteers, communication platforms, and recognition programs.
- Develop and execute direct mail, email, and crowdfunding solicitations through targeted segmentations to achieve set annual goals for dollars and donors for the university.
- Conceive, write and execute creative solicitations to engage constituents to give philanthropically. Oversee the development of solicitation letters, emails and other marketing pieces to enhance solicitation and stewardship efforts.
- Lead the development and execution of the university’s annual Days of Giving.
- Coordinate annual fundraising strategies with other department leaders in major gifts, alumni relations, communications, corporations/foundations, athletics and advancement services.
- Develop collaborations and ideas for special fundraising projects to enhance donor count and fund university priorities.
Leadership and Management
- Manage the Annual Giving team staff including two Donor Experience Officers, an Annual Giving Coordinator, and a shared Development Assistant.
- Oversee the Donor Experience Officer program to increase revenue and retention of mid-level donors in collaboration with EverTrue.
- Develop measurable goals and metrics to routinely monitor the impact of annual giving activities on the success of donor acquisition and retention. Establish and maintain tracking and testing methods for all solicitation initiatives and adjust strategies based on results of data analysis.
- Provide leadership in the development of annual giving staff; support colleagues in efforts to exceed overall Advancement goals.
- Work with colleagues to ensure a robust donor recognition program including recognition of leadership (Chancellor’s Leadership Society) and loyal donors (True Blue Society) as well as general stewardship of all donors.
Direct Fundraising and Volunteer Management
- Manage a small portfolio of leadership annual giving donors
- Coordinate and lead activities of the Faculty/Staff Giving Committee
- Collaborate with other members of the University Advancement team and university partners across campus.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 6 – 9 years relevant experience in annual giving fundraising, preferably in higher education
- Experience with direct marketing solicitation strategy
- Team player with top notch organizational skills and the ability to multi-task is essential
- Candidates must possess exceptional interpersonal skills to work with colleagues, donors and prospects
- Strong verbal and written communications skills are required
- Budget Management
- Masters preferred
- Experience in higher education fundraising
- Experience with face-to-face leadership annual giving solicitation
- They will be comfortable working with a diverse group of constituents and the level of ambiguity that comes from a growing environment
- Attendance at select Advancement events which includes some nights and weekends
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
- Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
- Please include a resume, cover letter, and a writing sample of an appeal with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.
To apply for this job please visit careers.pageuppeople.com.