Assistant Director of Annual Giving
Valparaiso UniversityValparaiso, IN
Valparaiso University is currently accepting applications for the position of Assistant Director of Annual Giving. This position at the University represents a vital member of our overall Advancement team. Reporting to the Director of Annual Giving, the Assistant Director of Annual Giving is responsible for identifying and soliciting Valparaiso University alumni, friends, and parents for annual gift commitments, with a focus on leadership donors ($1,000+) to the President’s Circle (the leadership recognition society for the Valpo Fund, our unrestricted annual fund).
The position calls for a proven track record of personal solicitation experience, strong written/verbal skills, and the ability to identify, cultivate, and solicit individuals for annual gifts to the Valpo Fund through the President’s Circle. The focus on this position will be primarily external and will require regional travel, as well as frequent overnight travel and flying. One must also understand the strong appreciation for the merits of Valparaiso’s history and Lutheran heritage, as well as a commitment to cultural diversity with the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
This position works in an environment dedicated to advancing Valparaiso University’s mission and building positive, meaningful relationships with colleagues and constituents.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Successfully identify, cultivate, and solicit prospects and donors as members of the President’s Circle (the leadership recognition society for the Valpo Fund, our unrestricted annual fund).
- Acquire, renew, and increase unrestricted annual gifts of $1,000+ through face-to-face and virtual/phone visits.
- Participate in prospect research to establish fundraising strategies.
- Serve as a key figure within a defined geographical area to support activities which will lead alumni, parents, friends, and others to financially support Valparaiso University’s mission.
- Participate in other areas of Advancement initiatives such as Homecoming, regional events, volunteer opportunities, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
To be considered for this position you must upload:
- Cover letter
- List of 3 professional references
- Answer all the application questions
Please address cover letter to:
Zachary King, Director of Annual Giving
Valparaiso, IN 46383
- Independent initiative with an adaptable, results-driven, self-directed, detail-oriented work style.
- Experience with higher education fundraising and Annual Giving programs including personal solicitations, managing volunteers, and faculty/staff giving campaigns are preferred. (Equivalent combination of education and experience also accepted.)
- Working understanding of commonly used fundraising/planned gift vehicles.
- Strong project management and communication skills and a demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple strategic responsibilities, to adhere to deadlines, and to work well within a team.
- Strong customer service focus, with excellent written, verbal, and time management skills.
- Excellent oral communication skills are required when presenting information and responding to questions from students, parents, employees, and the general public in one-on-one or group situations.
- Because this job requires travel, a valid driver’s license will be required
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 3 years of related work experience is preferred.
- Skills using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel) and Gmail.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to gather and interpret data, and to make sound decisions based on such data.
To apply for this job please visit valpo-openhire.silkroad.com.