Assistant Director Young Alum Engagement
Virginia TechBlacksburg, VA
This position is part of the Engagement team within Advancement and reports to the Director of Student and Young Alumni Engagement. The Assistant Director, Young Alumni Engagement will strategically execute programs and projects that seek to engage young alumni (years 0-10 from undergraduate graduation) from across the university in a mutually beneficial lifelong connection to each other, their college, and the university. This position will facilitate alumni engagement with the university through outreach to young alumni and through their participation in programs including philanthropic activities that support and advance the university’s mission and goals. These programs will be highly collaborative with colleagues in Colleges, corporate engagement, and our Alumni chapter programs in key geographic markets, especially in the greater DC Metro Area, New York, and Richmond. The Assistant Director, Young Alumni Engagement will assist in building giving relationships among this constituency through a collaborative partnership with the Office of Annual Giving and Virginia Tech Reunion programs.
The Assistant Director, Young Alumni Engagement will be responsible for the following:
- Coordinating global networks of young alumni volunteers providing intellectual, cultural, professional, and social events and networking opportunities (Young Alumni Committees).
- Recruiting, training, and managing Young Alumni Committee volunteers throughout the country to execute engagement programs and events for this constituency, including but not limited to: Welcome New Alumni Parties, Social and Service Events, Young Alumni Party at Reunion Weekend, and Regional Admitted Student/Yield Events.
- Building and maintaining productive relationships with a wide range of young alumni locally, regionally, and nationally; maintaining regular communication with young alumni and serve as a conduit to Virginia Tech.
- Conducting discovery and prospecting visits with Young Alumni (0-10 years) when traveling for events to establish a future pipeline of philanthropic support to Virginia Tech.
- Serve as a resource to young alumni volunteer leaders and act as a conduit between the university and young alumni. Facilitate connections among various young alumni groups.
- Develop, deploy, and promote programs that support the university’s strategic plan as well as the goals of Virginia Tech Advancement.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience in event planning, fundraising, educational programming, and/or alumni activities.
- Proven skills as a leader along with demonstrated ability to motivate, influence, and persuade.
- Demonstrated accomplishment in fostering productive relationships with constituents and developing volunteer leadership.
- Ability to organize and complete multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, some involving volunteers.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills, with strong group presentation skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with university colleagues, alumni, and other constituents, and the public.
- Proven ability to work successfully in a large complex, sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Demonstrated creativity and innovative problem solving
- Must be willing to work evenings/weekends and travel extensively as needed.
- Master’s degree or education and experience equating to an advanced degree preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to train and motivate volunteers.
- Significant experience developing effective strategies for planning events to enhance philanthropic support.
- Knowledge of Virginia Tech and its programs.
To apply for this job please visit careers.pageuppeople.com.