Director of Charitable Giving
Worcester Polytechnic InstituteWorcester, MA
This position reports directly to the Executive Director of Leadership Giving in the Division of University Advancement (UA). Carrying a portfolio of approximately 125 prospects and current donors, the Director of Charitable Giving will secure major gifts and work with others in the UA Division on foundation, corporate, annual and planned gifts that support WPI’s mission.
The Director of Charitable Giving serves as an important member of WPI’s major gift fundraising efforts and is required to attend meetings relating to fundraising and the Division of UA.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Develop and implement cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies for a prospect portfolio of approximately 125 major individual gift prospects with the capacity to give $100,000 or more. Collaborate with colleagues in the Office of Strategic Donor Outreach, Gift Planning, Research, Donor Relations & Stewardship, External Relations and the Office of Lifetime Engagement in the raising of planned and annual gifts.
- Achieve the annual major gift fundraising goal as outlined in the annual goal-setting process. Secure visits to cultivate, solicit and close major gifts individually and in cooperation with others on the UA team. Achieve specific metrics as outlined in annual metric-based goals.
- Foster a collaborative, service-oriented environment within the UA Division in achieving the annual goals of the Division. Work as appropriate with administrators, faculty and staff members, and colleagues on major gift initiatives.
- Develop productive working relationships that engage and involve key volunteers at various stages of their relationship with the University.
- Support efforts and coordinate donor relations, communications and special events with the UA offices of Communications & Events, Lifetime Engagement, Strategic Donor Engagement and Donor Relations & Stewardship that further the strategic priorities of WPI.
- Follow protocols, devise strategies and implement moves management techniques through Salesforce to maximize fundraising productivity.
- The Director of Charitable Giving must be a results-oriented individual with demonstrated experience closing gifts and working effectively with a diverse group of donors and volunteers at a variety of levels of engagement.
- Ability to innovate and think creatively about gift strategies, especially for large 6/7-figure principal gifts.
- This position requires an individual who understands person-to-person relationships and has the ability to articulate in a persuasive manner the vision and priorities of the University and match those to the interests of prospective donors.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently to cultivate and solicit gifts.
- Familiarity with charitable gift arrangements.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to concurrently handle multiple tasks.
- Possess strong written, oral and interpersonal skills to further relationships with donors and volunteers.
- Proficiency with standard computer applications (Microsoft Office) including familiarity with Salesforce or similar fundraising software to insure proposals, gifts and contact reports are captured is essential.
- Participation and involvement in two mandatory Division events is required: Homecoming in the Fall and Alumni Weekend in the Spring.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the assignment of other duties that are logically related to the position.
Please include a cover letter to be considered for this position.
WPI requires employees to be fully-vaccinated for COVID-19.
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply for this job please visit wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.