AGN Salary Index Filter & Data Definitions
Institution Type: Respondents were asked whether they work at a college or university, independent school, or other type of institution.
Level: Respondents were asked to select one of the following six levels:
- Level 6 – Possible titles: Vice President, Chief Advancement Officer
Responsibilities could include overseeing all advancement units and activities for the institution.
- Level 5 – Possible titles: Associate/Assistant Vice President, Executive Director
Responsibilities could include overseeing a major area and/or multiple units or programs.
- Level 4 – Possible titles: Director, Senior Officer
Responsibilities could include supervising an individual department and/or unit, including oversight of staff/budget.
- Level 3 – Possible titles: Associate Director, Officer
Responsibilities could include managing a program and/or relationships, and limited staff supervision.
- Level 2 – Possible titles: Assistant Director, Specialist
Responsibilities could include junior level functions and tasks, with no supervision of full-time employees.
- Level 1 – Possible titles: Coordinator, Associate, Administrative Assistant
Responsibilities could include entry-level functions and/or providing administrative or office support.
Unit: Respondents were asked to self-select the one primary area within advancement that most aligns with their focus, given the following options: Alumni Relations, Annual Giving, Communications, Data & Analytics, Major & Planned Giving, and Stewardship & Donor Relations.
Region: Respondents were asked to self-select one of the following four U.S. regions: Midwest, Northeast, South, West.
Job Title: Respondents were asked to provide their specific job title, omitting any information that could be used to identify individuals and their institutions.
Salary: Respondents were asked to provide their annual salary EXCLUDING benefits or bonuses.
Years of Experience: Respondents were asked how many years of experience they have in their field.
Organization Size: Respondents were asked how many living alumni their institution currently has. Their responses were classified as follows:
- Large: Institutions with more than 100,000 alumni
- Mid-Size: Institutions with 20,000-100,000 alumni
- Small: Institutions with fewer than 20,000 alumni
Public or Private: Respondents were asked whether their institution is public or private.