Gift Planning Administrator
Michigan State UniversityEast Lansing, MI
- Research, implement and monitor bequest expectancy program for University Advancement, Michigan State University.
- Assist Director and Associate Director of Gift Planning in planning, coordination, development and implementation of gift planning marketing materials and strategies.
Primary Responsibilities – Planned Gift Estate Administration
Work closely with the Director and Associate Director of Gift Planning, the Office of General Counsel, as well as, various offices on and off campus, to establish and administer a bequest administration program to monitor the progress of bequest expectancies.
- Prepare initial correspondence to estate attorney or representative; track, monitor progress, and prepare reports on estate; review estate accountings, releases, correspondence, etc.; facilitate signing and transmitting of all estate-related documentation and address any discrepancies or concerns with Director and Associate Director of MSU Office of Gift Planning and/or the Office of General Counsel; communicate with estate representative and units or colleges on estate matters; prepare and compile forms and backup documentation for recording realized bequests; run estate lists as requested; review and update estate information in database; review and coordinate follow-up communication for deceased donors who have outstanding pledges.
- Respond to inquiries from donors, attorneys or university staff regarding bequests; prepare and review forms to record bequests or transmit bequest information to unit/college for documentation and further stewardship.
- Establish and maintain an estate administration initial response system to include letter to attorney or Personal Representative and family / friends.
- Through on-the-job training, acquire proficiency with PC Calc, gift planning software.
Primary Responsibilities – Planned Gift Marketing Administration
Work closely with the Director and Associate Director of Gift Planning to develop and maintain the marketing budget, projects and website to effectively increase Gift Planning awareness and response from prospects through gift planning marketing materials and strategies.
- Participation with Director and Associate Director of the Office of Gift Planning in the design and implementation of the annual MSU Office of Gift Planning marketing plan. In collaboration with, and supervision by, the Director and Associate Director of Gift Planning, research, review, report, and analyze current planned giving marketing strategies and recommend program changes to increase results.
- Coordinate and manage the production of gift planning marketing materials and mail solicitations which complement the Gift Planning website and electronic resources available.
- Track efficiency and response of Gift Planning marketing materials to suggest and determine useful audience segmentation and / or strategy changes for the future.
Supervision: Provided by Director of Office of Gift Planning.
University Advancement Executive Managers, Provost’s and President’s Office, Office of General Counsel, Deans and Unit Directors, regional and gift planning officers, constituency development officers, administrative support from across University Advancement and other campus units, and MSU’s major donors, prospects, alumni and volunteers.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Journalism, Pre-Law, Marketing, Communications or related field; one to three years of related or progressively more responsible or expansive work experience with estate settlement and a knowledge of legal terminology and procedures; experience in word processing and/or spreadsheet software; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge of legal terminology and procedures; paralegal training or certification as a legal assistant. Exhibits superior communication and customer service skills, to include grammar, writing, editing and presentation skills; strong computer software program skills in Microsoft Office products, and be self-motivated requiring minimal supervision.
Experience in a professional fundraising environment, able to communicate effectively with representatives of the legal community, college and unit development officers, donors and/or their heirs, and the MSU Advancement Marketing and Communication team, and have work experience with writing and preparing marketing mailings.
- May require valid vehicle operator’s license where needed to perform duties of the position.
- Other skills and/or physical abilities required to perform duties of the position.
- This position requires or will require prior to the completion of the probationary period: knowledge of basic personal computer terminology and operations, and the ability to use e-mail and the internet.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Resume and Cover Letter
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions.
Work hours are 8AM to 5PM with some nights and weekends
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
To apply for this job please visit careers.msu.edu.