Senior Advancement Writer
Smith CollegeNorthampton, MA
Smith College links the power of the liberal arts to excellence in research and scholarship. Imagine working in a community dedicated to learning, teaching, scholarship, discovery, creativity and critical thought. It’s the diversity and inclusivity of our community, founded on the free and open exchange of ideas, that runs through everything we do. Join Smith and become part of a unique team bringing our mission to life.
Smith College is looking for an experienced senior advancement writer to support our Alumnae Relations and Development team. This is an exciting opportunity to work as a trusted advisor and to provide solutions and recommendations. We anticipate the person in this position will initially work remotely with a transition to full or partial on-campus work later this year.
Responsible for supporting division communications, events, volunteer opportunities, and other programs aimed at encouraging alumnae and donor engagement. The position will propose, research, write, edit and copy edit individualized as well as mass communications and education pieces for alumnae and donors. Projects include gift proposals, stewardship and impact reports, background papers, newsletters, brochures, event collateral, website and social media content, video scripts, solicitation letters and presidential communications. Take appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participate in the College’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment. Please attach both a current resume and cover letter, best combined into a single PDF or Word document.
- Support the cultivation, proposal and stewardship efforts of principal and major gift officers, as well as annual support officers (40%)
- Research, write, design, edit and proofread customized proposals and other correspondence to alumnae, donors and friends of the college.
- Research and write talking points, background papers and white papers that provide the case for an array of college priorities and that can be adapted for individualized proposals and other communications. Maintain and share knowledge of factors and trends that connect Smith to national and world issues and that shape perceptions that affect constituent support.
- Research, write and edit Smith Fund solicitation letters, emails, social media posts, video scripts and more that encourage regular giving to the college’s annual fund, an important source of academic innovation, global education, scholarships and other resources for the college.
- Assist with the development of other printed and digital communications that support Smith’s fundraising efforts, recognize donors and reinforce the positive impact of donor support. Projects include but are not limited to stewardship and impact reports, brochures, video scripts, presidential communications, presentations, speeches and event materials.
- Support the efforts of alumnae engagement (40%)
- Research and write strategic, innovative and inspiring newsletter, website and social media content, such as donor profiles, student profiles, news items, case statements and more. Propose creative and innovative ways to connect with alumnae and donors.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in Alumnae Relations, Development, academic departments and College Relations as well as with selected faculty, staff and students to develop compelling content.
- Assist with the development of other printed and digital communications that support Smith’s alumnae engagement efforts. Projects include but are not limited to video scripts, communications, presentations, speeches and event materials.
- Support special projects and general editorial needs (20%)
- Review and edit written materials generated by staff to ensure quality and consistency.
- Participate in relevant staff meetings and planning sessions.
- Copyedit department materials as needed.
- Adhere to and promote the college’s and the department’s communication plan and branding standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
- All employees are expected to participate in the College’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Skills & Preferred Qualifications
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to collaborate with team members as well as colleagues across the college
- Excellent research, writing and editing skills as well as demonstrated grammatical and proofreading skills; knowledge of AP style
- Demonstrated ability to research and translate complex information into clear, concise and compelling content, as well as the ability to adapt writing style to a variety of situations and audiences
- Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, etc.), Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, etc); Drupal, WordPress and Adobe Creative Suite preferred
- Experience with philanthropy and major gift fundraising processes preferred
Smith College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or veteran status in the recruitment and employment of faculty and staff, and the operation of any of its programs and activities, as specified by all applicable laws and regulations. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit smithcollege.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.