Director, Direct Marketing
University of VirginiaCharlottesville, VA
The University of Virginia Office of Engagement seeks a Director, Direct Marketing, to join the University Annual Giving team. The University Annual Giving team plays an integral and strategic role within University Advancement, working cross-functionally to produce donor-centric direct marketing strategies and creative output, leading to growth in philanthropic support to the University.
The Director leads a team of nine full-time staff to develop and execute direct marketing strategies for multi-channel (print, email, web, social, and text) and donor-centric communications. These communications engage constituents throughout the annual giving cycle, from identification to solicitation to stewardship.
The position will manage a growing portfolio of fundraising partners across Grounds, including five undergraduate schools, UVA Health, centers, and programs. The ideal candidate is a highly motivated, bold, creative, entrepreneurial communicator capable of delivering exceptional customer service to execute strategic annual giving marketing initiatives for partners.
The Director develops and executes annual direct marketing plans for individual partners that reflect each area’s brand, audience, and goals. This plan includes, but is not limited to, scheduling and leading discovery/intake meetings, preparing monthly and semi-annual reports, interpreting analytics and adjusting marketing plans as needed, and serving as the partner’s primary point of contact throughout the annual giving cycle.
- Manage five direct reports, a team of administrative, creative, and project management professionals
- Serve as primary partner contact within University Annual Giving for a portfolio of partners
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with current and future partners
- Research and develop a broad understanding of partners’ constituents, mission, and other marketing initiatives and events impacting their constituency
- Translate partner goals into innovative, creative, multi-channel annual strategies that acquire, renew, and reactivate donors, building a pipeline for major gifts and creating new ways for constituents to be involved with the University
- Collaborate with key stakeholders across Advancement to support projects and initiatives
- Create a systematic, process-driven approach to partner outreach and relationship management
- Oversee continuous process improvement of program and project execution, maximizing project management software efficiencies
- Measure and report the results of various projects with partners and make recommendations for future projects in collaboration with the analytics team
- Stay current on direct marketing best practices and maximize the use of data to make strategic recommendations
- Assess emerging trends and technologies, and after determining the merit, test implementation
- Perform other duties as assigned
- A bachelor’s degree with seven years of experience in communications, marketing, or related field
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate with diverse constituents
- Robust strategic planning, analytical, and implementation skills, leading efforts in setting priorities and meeting goals
- Ability to speak persuasively in public
- Effective leader with the ability to work across Grounds and towards shared goals
- Detail-oriented, efficient, and able to handle diversified tasks concurrently
- Management experience
- Experience in annual giving, marketing, alumni relations, customer service, sales, fundraising, or higher education
- Proven track record mentoring and developing team members
- Demonstrated ability to manage partner/client relationships
- Entrepreneurial spirit with demonstrated success in driving new business from concept through the execution phase
- Understanding of the principles of philanthropy, higher education, and relationship management
- Knowledge of annual giving direct marketing best practices
- Experience in analysis of and reporting on marketing strategies
- Experience with changes in organizational behavior and the implementation of new structures
- Project Management certification
This role is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings and programs.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, University Advancement honors your experiences, perspectives, and unique identity. Together, we strive to create and maintain working environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming so we can best achieve our mission of supporting our broadly diverse partners, schools, and networks of engaged alumni, parents, and friends of the University.
UVA Advancement offers a flexible and hybrid workplace to attract, retain, and reward a diverse and talented team, and to promote an inclusive and equitable environment. All team members must have access to and maintain a secure home office environment with high-speed internet service and work collaboratively with others using a variety of technologies and tools. Depending on the type of position and work performed, or as deemed by manager, some positions may be required to work intermittently in a shared office space located in Charlottesville, Virginia.
This position will remain open until filled. This is an exempt level, benefited position. This position is a restricted position and is dependent upon project need, availability of funding, and performance. Anticipated Hiring Range: $95,000 – $105,000 commensurate with education and experience. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Daniel Strong, Senior Recruiter, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please apply through Workday, and search for “Director, Direct Marketing.” Complete an application online and attach a cover letter and CV/resume all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile.
The University of Virginia, including UVA Health system, which represents UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group, and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person’s perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy,) sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
COVID Vaccination Requirement
The University of Virginia expects all current and new employees (UVA Health System and Academic), to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
If hired to work within the University Health System, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination or be willing to receive the vaccination. Employees may request a medical or religious exemption from vaccination.
If hired to work on the Academic side of the University, excluding the School of Medicine, School of Nursing, UPG, and the Health Systems Library, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination or be willing to submit to mandatory, weekly prevalence testing. Employees that are working 100% remotely will not be subject to weekly prevalence testing; however, if the employee works on UVA Grounds (including the Medical Center) even intermittently, then they are required to be tested for COVID-19 once per week on an indefinite basis and follow masking mandates.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person’s perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
To apply for this job please visit uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.